Book a place
This evening course will introduce you to the statistical software Stata and how to use it to carry out statistical analysis.
You'll learn how to enter and manipulate data, and the basics of analyses and graphs.
It's suitable for those with little or no experience of Stata, or those who want a refresher. A basic knowledge of statistics would be helpful.
This course runs over two consecutive evenings, from 5.30 to 8.15pm.
A one-day version of this course is also available.
This course is run by UCL's Centre for Applied Statistics Courses (CASC), part of the UCL Great Ormond Street Institute of Child Health (ICH).
This course will cover the following topics:
- Getting started with the Stata interface
- Data entry/loading (including do files and log files)
- Data manipulation
- Descriptive statistics
- Parametric tests
- Non-parametric tests
Computers and software
The course will take place in a cluster room, with access to a computer and Stata.
You're welcome to bring your own laptop if you prefer, but you should ensure Stata is installed before attending (installation guidelines will be made available two weeks before the course).
By the end of this course you should be able to:
- feel familiar with the Stata interface, and style of programming language
- read existing datasets into Stata
- modify the format of your data to make it easier to analyse
- summarise basic statistics
- produce and edit graphical displays
- perform basic statistical analysis tests
You can request a certificate of attendance for this course once you've completed it. Please send your request to firstname.lastname@example.org
Include the following in your email:
- the name of the completed course for which you'd like a certificate
- how you'd like your name presented on the certificate (if the name/format differs from the details you gave during registration)
Cost and concessions
The fees are as follows:
- External delegates (non UCL) - £200
- UCL staff, students, alumni (including ICH/GOSH) - £100*
* valid UCL email address and/or UCL alumni number required upon registration
Prices include printed course materials and refreshments.
You can cancel your booking up to five working days before the start of the course for a full refund, but please give as much notice as possible. Places cancelled or changed after this point won't be eligible for a refund. Please send all cancellation requests to the course administrator.
Find out about other statistics courses
CASC's stats courses are for anyone requiring an understanding of research methodology and statistical analyses. The courses will allow non-statisticians to interpret published research and/or undertake their own research studies.
Find out more about CASC's full range of statistics courses, and the continuing statistics training scheme (book six one-day courses and get a seventh free.)
Eirini Koutoumanou - Course Lead
Eirini joined GOS ICH in 2008 as the first CASC Teaching Fellow and was promoted to Senior Teaching Fellow in 2014. She has a Bachelor’s degree in Statistics from the Athens University of Economics and Business and a Master's degree in Statistics from Lancaster University, and she's currently studying for a PhD at ICH. Eirini started teaching at ICH straight after her student days, putting into practice and further developing her passion for statistics teaching. She's played an instrumental role in the formation of CASC and hopes to see it develop further.
Book a place
Course information last modified: 14 Nov 2019, 09:19