Book a place
This online course for international university students will help you develop your academic language skills and learn more about UK culture.
It will help you improve your English language skills in the key areas of speaking, listening, reading and writing.
You'll also have opportunities to explore:
- UCL and academic culture
- different aspects of university life in London and the UK by talking to UCL students
- UK culture and society through virtual visits to places of social and historical interest
This course is run by the UCL Centre for Languages & International Education (CLIE).
Course content and structure
Teaching on English for academic purposes takes place from Monday to Friday. This will involve:
- live online classes with UCL tutors
- live online tutorials, either 1:1 or in small groups
In addition, you'll take part in independent study activities each day, at a time convenient for you. This could include:
- academic lectures, delivered by UCL staff
- training in producing a written academic research report
- training in producing an academic presentation
- live online interaction with UCL students
- guided virtual visits to places of cultural interest in London
Assessment and certificates
For the end-of-course assessment you'll need to:
- write a short academic research report
- record a short presentation
Both pieces of work will be assessed by the tutor after the course has finished.
You'll receive a full report on your achievements in the assessments and during the course more generally, along with guidance on areas that you might focus on in order to improve.
You'll also receive a certificate, if you attend at least 80% of the course.
Who this course is for
You'll need to be:
- a university student (or just about to start university)
- aged 17 years or above
- a non-native English speaker
Students on the course normally have a level of English between IELTS 5.0 to 7.5 or equivalent. Further details are available on the course website.
If you do not have a formal English language qualification we would encourage you to apply. We may ask you to complete a short test or attend a virtual interview.
By the end of the course, you'll have:
- improved your English language skills in the key areas of speaking, listening, reading and writing
- explored important aspects of UCL and academic culture
- interacted with UCL students to discover more about university life in London and the UK
- actively explored different aspects of UK culture and society
Book a place
Course information last modified: 9 Aug 2021, 08:59