UCL staff and alumni recognised in 2020 New Year’s Honours
2 January 2020
Congratulations to more than 25 members of the UCL community who have been recognised in the 2020 New Year’s Honours.
Professor Duncan Wingham (UCL Earth Sciences) has been appointed Knight Bachelor for services to climate science.
Sir Duncan, Professor of Climate Physics, joined UCL in 1986, where he held lecturing posts at the Mullard Space Science Laboratory and the Department of Electronic & Electrical Engineering. In 1998, he was appointed as Chair of the UCL Department of Space & Climate Physics, and was Head of UCL’s Department of Earth Sciences from 2005 to 2010.
He was founder and Director of the Centre for Polar Observation and Modelling (CPOM) from 2000 to 2005, which among other things discovered the widespread mass loss from the West Antarctic Ice Sheet and its origin in accelerated ocean melting.
Sir Duncan is currently Executive Chair at the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC), previously serving as Chief Executive. During his tenure at NERC he has overseen the delivery of several high-profile capital projects including the building of two Royal Research Ships, Discovery and Sir David Attenborough.
Victor Chu, UCL Chair of Council, has been awarded a CBE (Commander of the Order of British Empire) for services to trade and investment.
A distinguished international business leader, Mr Chu is also a UCL Laws alumnus, graduating in 1979, and was made an Honorary Fellow of UCL in 2011. He was elected UCL Chair of Council in 2019, succeeding Dame DeAnne Julius.
Professor Abdel Babiker (MRC Clinical Trials Unit at UCL) has been appointed an OBE (Officer of the Order of British Empire) for services to medical research. He is a Professor of Epidemiology and Medical Statistics.
Among UCL’s alumni to have been recognised include Sharon White (UCL MSc Economics 1993), who has been awarded a Damehood for public service. She is currently Chair of John Lewis Partnership and was previously chief executive of Ofcom from 2015 to 2019.
Dame Sharon, who was made an Honorary Fellow of UCL in 2017, said: "I am very grateful. But this is really a recognition of the hard work and dedication of my colleagues at Ofcom."
Other UCL alumni, fellows, honorary degree holders and donors represented in this year's list include:
- Professor Dame Sally Davies (Honorary Fellow of UCL) - Dame Grand Cross of the Order of the Bath for services to public health and research
- Professor Lesley Regan (UCL MBBS Medicine 1980) - Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire for services to women’s health care
- Professor Sarah Jane Whatmore (UCL MPhil Geography 1988) - Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire for services to the study of environmental policy
- Dr Dennis Gillings CBE (Honorary Fellow of UCL) – Knight Bachelor for services to the advancement of dementia and life sciences research
- Dr Menelas Pangalos (UCL PhD Institute of Neurology 1992) – Knight Bachelor for services to UK science.
- Andrew Bud (Chair UCL Advisory Board on Computer Science 2003-2015) - CBE for services to exports in science and technology
- Professor Jane Elliott (Honorary Professor UCL IOE) - CBE for services to the social sciences.
- Dr Ahalia Evans (UCL Forensic Psychotherapy 1998) - CBE for services to NHS leadership and the BAME community
- Kay Withers (UCL BA Philosophy 2000) – CBE for public service
- Nishma Gosrani (UCL BSc Information Management 2002) – OBE for voluntary services to promoting diversity and inclusion
- Rishi Khosla (UCL BSc Economics 1996) – OBE for services to business.
- Steven Knight (UCL English 1980 and Honorary Fellow of UCL) – OBE for services to drama, entertainment and to the community in Birmingham
- Neena Lall (UCL National Professional Qualification for Headship 2008) – OBE for services to education.
- Philippa Nunn (UCL BSc Zoology 1986) – OBE for services to education.
- Edward Vainker (UCL MA Comparative Education 2009) – OBE for services to education.
- Maria Beate Green (UCL BA 1946) – MBE for services to Holocaust education
- Emeritus Professor Leslie Brent (UCL PhD 1954) – MBE (awarded posthumously) for services to Holocaust education and the field of immunology and organ transplantation.
- Keith Mackiggan (UCL LLM Law 1999) - MBE for public service
- Yusuf Patel (MSc Countering Organised Crime & Terrorism 2016) - MBE for services to community cohesion and interfaith in the London Borough of Redbridge
- Professor Gerrard Rayman (UCL MBBS Medicine 1976) - MBE for services to diabetes care
- Sukwinder Kaur Samra (UCL National Professional Qualification for Headship 2005) – MBE for services to education
- Dr Timothy Tannock (UCL MBBS Medicine 1983) – MBE for political service to international relations and human rights
- Professor Julia West (UCL Affiliate Hydrogeology 1993) - MBE for services to radioactive waste management
- New Year’s Honours list 2020
- Professor Duncan Wingham
- Professor Abdel Babiker
- Mr Victor Chu
- Dame Sharon White awarded Honorary Fellowship of UCL
From top left: Professor Sir Duncan Wingham, Victor Chu CBE, Professor Abdel Babiker OBE and Dame Sharon White