Below is a collated list of tips and resources by the DoP Green Team to support sustainable living
Food and Drink
- OLIO: Reduce food waste in your area by swapping food and other items with your neighbour.
- Too Good to Go: Supermarkets/cafes/restaurants use this app to offer leftover meals at a reduced rate. Schedule a time for pick up & you have a deal.
- The Vegan Society: Want to add more veggie meals to your week? Try the vegan society website for quick recipes.
- Our Recipes: you can find downloadable PDFs and online links to recommended recipes from the Green Team.
- Moral Fibres: Try your hand at making your own chemical free cleaning products
- Wearth London: Break up with Amazon & support local businesses that sell sustainable/zero waste products. Insta: @wearthlondon
- Ecosia: Download the Ecosia extension for Chrome as the profits (from ads) they make from your searches are used to plant trees! It also can be downloaded on your phone.
- Get creative by upcycling; turn a tin into a pencil holder or use old glass jars to hold your toiletries.
- Switch to eco-friendly office supplies like bamboo-based pens or a Rocketbook (a re-usable journal for those who prefer hand-written notes).
- Buy secondhand clothes & other items on sites such as Gumtree, Depop, Poshmark & Facebook Marketplace.
- Make a difference at home by signing environmental petitions. Find some on Greenpeace 'Take Action' website.
- Get involved with Sustainable UCL!
- Join one of the many green focused UCL clubs:
|Climate Action Society
|Vegetarian and Vegan Society
|Green Economy Society
|Nature & Conservation Society
|Green Economy Society
Garden & Travel
- Help bees by planting more nectar-rich plants such as geraniums, lavender and salvia/sage in your garden.
- Try composting your food waste or use your leftover cooled water that has been used to cook vegetables to water your plants.
- Currently the government advises to avoid public transport, so take this time to get steps in or take up cycling (for the earth & your health)! UCL has loads of resources, from hidden city walking maps to bike maintenance & local cycling routes.
- Ethical Consumer: Check out Ethical Consumer to use your spending power to change the world!