Whether you're a teacher, a student or a fan of English, whatever your native language (including English), here is a virtual opportunity to study English phonetics at University College London!
You can brush up your knowledge of the theoretical side of phonetics and bring yourself up-to-date on new developments. You may want to do ear-training and listening practice. Or you may just want to improve your own English pronunciation. It's all available in UCL's famous Summer Course in English Phonetics, founded over a century ago by the great Daniel Jones.
Our course covers all the main aspects of English phonetics:
- phonemic system (vowels and consonants)
- segmental analysis (allophonic processes)
- connected speech processes
- sentence stress (tonicity, accentuation)
- intonation (nuclear tones and prenuclear patterns)
These topics are investigated both in lectures and in practical classes. Practical groups are kept small and are organised according to your prior knowledge of English and your English proficiency. For example, we may have groups consisting of
- teachers of English as a foreign language
- undergraduate students of English
- university academics and postgraduates
The course covers with both speaking and listening skills. You get plenty of practice in pronunciation performance and in auditory discrimination in special ear-training sessions.
SCEP has usually been a two-week course in London, but in 2021 VSCEP (Virtual SCEP) was delivered as a one-week course live via Zoom. For more detail see the VSCEP timetable.