Prof Mark Huckvale
Head of the Research Department Speech Hearing and Phonetic Sciences
Speech, Hearing & Phonetic Sciences
Div of Psychology & Lang Sciences
- Joined UCL
- 1st Sep 1983
My research involves many aspects of speech science and technology: speech production, hearing, speech perception, speech acquisition, speech synthesis, speech recognition and speaker recognition.
Recent research activities include:
- Centre for Law-Enforcement Audio Research (CLEAR). A joint research centre with Imperial College London that investigates methods for the enhancement of degraded speech signals.
- Avatar Therapy. A project that investigates the use of computer avatars in the provision of therapy for sufferers of auditory hallucinations (hearing voices).
- KLAIR Virtual Infant. A machine learning toolkit for the study of the computational modelling of early speech acquisition by infants through real-time interaction with caregivers.
- VOQAL Voice Quality Toolbox. A toolkit for the analysis of changes in voice quality caused by aging, disease or stress.
I teach courses in Introduction to Speech Science, Phonetics, Experimental Phonetics, and Web Programming.
- University College London
- Doctorate, Doctor of Philosophy | 1982
- University of Warwick
- First Degree, Bachelor of Science | 1976
Education / Qualifications
- 1976, BSc (Hons) Physics, University of Warwick, U.K.
- 1984, PhD (Human Communication), University of London, U.K.
- 1979-1983, Systems Analyst/Programmer, SCICON Consultancy International, London, UK
- 1983-1986, Research Assistant, Department of Phonetics and Linguistics, University College London
- 1986-1990, SERC Advanced Research Fellow, Department of Phonetics and Linguistics, University College London
- 1990-1997, Lecturer, Department of Phonetics and Linguistics, University College London
- 1997-2015, Senior Lecturer in Research Department of Speech Hearing and Phonetic Sciences, Division of Psychology and Language Science, University College London
- 2015-present, Professor of Speech Science in Research Department of Speech Hearing and Phonetic Sciences, Division of Psychology and Language Science, University College London
Other Appointments And Affiliations
- 1989-2014, Technical Director, Marquesa Search Systems Ltd. (Trademark Search Provider)