UCL continues to perform strongly in QS subject rankings
28 February 2018
UCL has 12 subject areas ranked in the global top 10 in the annual QS World University Rankings by Subject, improving upon last year's position with Life Sciences and Arts and Humanities joining the top 10.
UCL Institute of Education holds its position as the world number 1 in Education, with Architecture number 2 and Archaeology number 3 globally.
Anthropology, Geography, Arts & Humanities, Psychology, Anatomy, Pharmacy, Life Sciences, Medicine and Dentistry all rank in the world top 10.
Since 2017, Natural Sciences has moved up 15 places, and Physics and Biology each jumped 11 places.
The university features amongst the world's leading institutions in 39 of the 48 subjects included in this year's rankings. In the 39 subjects in which UCL is active:
- 12 subjects are ranked in the world top 10
- 20 subjects are in the world top 20
- 12 subjects have improved their ranking globally, including: Computer Science, Chemical Engineering, Politics, Environmental Science and Chemistry.
The worldwide ranking of 10 subjects remained unchanged, including Geography (8), Anthropology (10), Law (12), English (14), History (15) and Economics (17).
"While league tables must always be regarded with a healthy degree of scepticism, we're delighted to see UCL's strengths recognised once again. I'd like to extend my congratulations and gratitude to colleagues across UCL whose hard work makes these results possible; particularly in Natural Sciences, Physics and Biology which have made significant strides forward," said Professor David Price, UCL Vice-Provost (Research).
"The breadth of UCL's expertise, and our commitment to academic excellence, are what underpins our capacity to develop new knowledge and address significant problems, so we're gratified to have those recognised."
The QS World University Rankings, which rank universities overall, rather than at subject level, will be published later this year. In 2017, these rankings placed UCL 7th in the world.
- UCL subject profile: QS World University Rankings by Subject 2018 (PDF)
- QS World University Rankings by Subject
- UCL Institute of Education remains number one for Education in QS subject rankings
- UCL Front Quad (Credit: UCL Digital Media)