New look myUCL launched thanks to student feedback
13 October 2015
The start of the academic year saw the launch of a new look myUCL, the all student e-newsletter.
Over the summer, UCL Communications and Marketing (CAM) held focus groups with undergraduate and postgraduate students from across the university to find out how we could make myUCL more appealing and user friendly.
myUCL was originally implemented in October 2014, in response to feedback from student focus groups conducted by UCL Communications and Marketing, in which it was clear that students were frustrated by the high volume of emails they were sent from all parts of UCL. We wanted to continue that collaborative approach to ensure students are being heard and their needs are being met.
Rachel Heatley, Student Communications Manager, said: "The revamp has only been possible because of input from students. I am grateful to the students who have helped us with ideas and suggestions. Our new look e-newsletter incorporates all of the student feedback and has produced a visually appealing myUCL which we hope will prove both useful and popular."
myUCL is read by more than 10,000 students - both undergraduate and postgraduate - per week, and reaches on average 25-30% of the potential student audience. Past issues of myUCL are available to browse and download in an archive hosted on UCL's digital library collection website.
myUCL aims to keep students informed of key information including:
- Internal announcements relevant to UCL students (via 'Announcements')
- Training and volunteering opportunities suitable for UCL students (via 'Opportunities')
- Interesting stories and features on UCL life (via 'Features')
- Events open to UCL students (via 'What's On')
- Research opportunities (via ' Take part in UCL research')
- UCL news (via 'UCL in the news')
- Pictures, media and infographics (via 'UCL in pictures')
- Individuals and projects at UCL (via 'Seven questions with')
If you have an event, research study, opportunity, news item or photo you would like to submit for inclusion in myUCL, that is relevant to a wide range of students, please send an email with a brief outline of the item and a hi-res photograph to email@example.com.
For more information about the items we include, please see the myUCL Editorial Policy.
Rachel Heatley, Student Communications Manager, UCL Communications & Marketing