UCL staff recognised in New Year Honours 2015
7 January 2015
Congratulations to the members of the UCL community who have been recognised in the 2015 New Year Honours list.
Current UCL staff with honours conferred this year are:
- Professor Peter Rees (UCL Bartlett School of Architecture) - CBE for services to architecture and town planning.
- Professor Rosalind Smyth (Director, UCL Institute of Child Health) - CBE for services to regulation of medicines for children.
- Professor Paul Ekins (Director, UCL Institute for Sustainable Resources) - OBE for services to environmental policy.
- Professor Iram Siraj (UCL Institute of Education) - OBE for services to education.
Emeritus and Visiting staff with honours conferred are:
- Professor Michele Dix (Visiting Professor, UCL Bartlett School of Planning) - CBE for services to the transport industry.
- Professor Heather Joshi (Emeritus Professor, UCL Institute of Education) - CBE for services to longitudinal and women's studies.
- Professor Geoffrey Hosking (Emeritus Professor, UCL School of Slavonic and East European Studies) - OBE for services to higher education and students.
- Professor Susan Hallam (Emeritus Professor, UCL Institute of Education) - MBE for services to music education.
UCL alumni, fellows, honorary degree holders and donors represented in this year's list include:
- Matthew Baggott, (UCL BA History 1987; Fellow) - KBE for services to policing in the United Kingdom.
- David Emerson (UCL BSc Geography 1972) - CBE for services to philanthropy and charitable giving.
- Alasdair Stirling (UCL MSc Naval Architecture 1985) - CBE for services to defence.
- Dr Anna Van Der Gaag (UCL AFUG Speech Therapy 1979) - CBE for services to health and care.
- Professor Caroline Whalley (UCL CDIP Applied Hypnosis 1994) - CBE for services to education.
- John Hancock (UCL BA History 1971) - OBE for services to British commercial and economic interests in the USA.
- Christopher Earnshaw (UCL Honorary Fellow) - OBE for services to engineering and technology.
- Dr John Scadding (UCL BSc Anatomy 1969, MBBS 1972) - OBE for services to medical research and defence.
- Felicity Aston (UCL BSc Physics and Astronomy 2009) - MBE for services to polar exploration.
- Neil and Angela Dickson (Founders and Trustees, The Brain Tumour Charity - provided funding of £1.6m over five years for UCL Samantha Dickson Brain Cancer Unit) - MBE For services to brain tumour research and support.
- Thomas Piper (UCL Postgraduate Theatre Design, Slade School of Fine Art 1998) - MBE for services to theatre and First World War commemorations.
- The Right Honourable the Lord Young of Graffham (UCL LLB 1954; Fellow 1988; Honorary Degree 2006; former Chairman, Institute of Cultural Heritage; former Chair, Council, until 2005) - CH for public service.
- David Bostock (UCL MSc Economics 1978) - KCMG for services to public administration and accountability.