Participants needed to help identify safe and unsafe areas of London
23 October 2014
Who? Anyone with an android phone, currently living or working or studying in London.
Download the Fear of Crime Application (FOCA) from the Google Play store (it's free) onto your phone, and use it to periodically fill out a short questionnaire ( ~1 minute to complete) as many times are you want over the course of October and November 2014 asking about how safe you feel in that particular moment. The more times you complete it the more times your name is entered in the draw for the £100 pound amazon vouchers.
This study has been approved for people over the age of 18 by the UCL Department of Security and Crime Science.
What's in it for me?
- With every answer you submit you are entered into draws to win one of 2 £100 Amazon Vouchers. Draws will take place at the end of October, and November. Winners will be notified via e-mail.
- You are helping to identify areas that make people feel unsafe, and target interventions aimed at improving safety
- You are helping to identify areas that make people feel safe, so we can study their features, and implement them elsewhere to promote safer environments across London.
- To participate, please download the Fear of Crime Application (FOCA) from the Google Play store available here: tinyurl.com/focaUCL
- Open the app, complete the pre-experiment questionnaire, then use the app to report any times where you feel unsafe while going about your everyday tasks during October and November of 2014.
- You will also receive occasional notifications from the app to remind you that it's there. When a notification appears, please open it up and complete the questionnaire to tell me how you are feeling in that particular moment. Please answer honestly, as there is no wrong answer. No matter your response, your name will be added to the draw.
- We are looking to gain insight into your everyday behaviour. Please do not visit any dangerous areas because of this study, please travel only to areas where you would normally.
- If you are experiencing an event where you feel unsafe, please remove yourself from this situation first, and find a safe place. There is an option on the application where you report something retrospectively, that is something that happened a few hours ago.
If you have any questions or comments contact Reka Solymosi via firstname.lastname@example.org
Reka Solymosi, PhD student at Centre for Transport Studies and UCL Security Science Doctoral Training Centre, Department of Civil, Environmental and Geomatic Engineering