UCL Honorary Graduands and Fellows 2012
30 August 2012
A range of eminent figures will join the list of UCL Honorary Graduands and Honorary Fellows during the 2012 graduation ceremonies, held from 29 August to 6 September.
An Honorary Degree is the highest mark of distinction that a university can award. Honorary Degrees are conferred on persons who have a record of outstanding achievement in scholarship or in public life and who have made contributions of unusual importance. Recipients of Honorary Degrees will normally have, or have had, a close association with UCL.
Honorary Fellowships are awarded to people who have attained distinction in the arts, literature, science or public life; have rendered exceptional service to UCL, which may include philanthropic support; or have a close association with UCL. The ceremonies are a great opportunity for graduating students to meet and talk to the inspirational individuals receiving two of UCL's highest accolades.
Honorary Graduands 2012
- Baron Peter Piot CMG, FMedSci Honorary Doctorate of Science (DSc (Med)) Director and Professor of Global Health, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine
- Sir Cyril Chantler Honorary Doctorate of Science (DSc (Med))Chair, UCL Partners
- Professor Dame Julia Higgins DBD, FRS, FREng Honorary Doctorate of Science (DSc) Research Investigator (Emeritus Professor) of Polymer Science in the Department of Chemical Engineering, Imperial College London
- Alan Hollinghurst Honorary Doctorate of Literature (DLit)Novelist
- Professor Donald Dingwell Honorary Doctorate of Science (DSc) Secretary-General, European Research Council
- The Rt Hon Lady Justice Hallett DBE Honorary Doctorate of Law (LLD) Judge, Royal Court of Appeal
Honorary Fellowships 2012
- Professor AK Azad Khan President, Diabetic Association of Bangladesh; President, Bangladesh Endocrinology Society; Honorary President (for life), Bangladesh Gastroenterology Society
- Dr Mary Cotes Former Member, Scientific Staff (MRC) Clinical Research Centre
- Professor John Morton OBE Honorary Member, UCL Institute of Cognitive Science and former Director, MRC Cognitive Development Unit
- Professor Patricia Woo CBE Emeritus Professor of Paediatric Rheumatology, Division of Infection and Immunity, UCL Faculty of Medical Sciences
- Dr Lorna Wing OBE Medical School alumnus; Founding Member, National Autistic Society; Consultant Psychiatrist, the NAS Lorna Wing Centre for Autism
- Mr Charles Peebles Conductor and Music Director, UCL Union and University College Opera
- H.E. Sheikh Mohamed Bin Issa Al Jaber Founder and Chairman, MBI Al Jaber Foundation
- Professor Andrew Holmes Chemistry alumnus; Laureate Professor of Chemistry, University of Melbourne; CSIRO Fellow, CSIRO Division of Materials Science and Engineering; Emeritus Professor and Distinguished Research Fellow, Imperial College London
Image: UCL Honorary Graduands 2012 (Clockwise from top left) Alan Hollinghurst, Professor Dame Julia Higgins DBD, FRS, FREng, Professor Donald Dingwell, Sir Cyril Chantler, Baron Peter Piot CMG, FMedSci, The Rt Hon Lady Justice Hallett DBE