Winners of Research Images as Art competition
10 December 2008
Miss Angeliki Malakasioti of UCL Bartlett has won the 2008/2009 'Research Images as Art - Art Images as Research' competition.
The annual competition, organised by the UCL Graduate School, attracted hundreds of entrants from staff and students across all UCL faculties, who were invited to submit images associated with their research which have aesthetic appeal.
Miss Malakasioti took home £250 for 'Ultrasound', her image of ultrasound recognition of spatial umbilical cords.
Six runners-up each received £150. These were:
- 'Oil on water 2' by Miss Helen Brand (Earth Sciences)
- 'Recurve' by Dr Helene Burningham (Geography)
- 'Volcanic Textures' by Miss Carina Fearnley (Earth Sciences)
- 'Labyrinths in Skin Cells' by Dr Thomas Hawkins (Cell and Developmental Biology)
- 'Darwin in Protein Space' by Mr Timothy Nugent (Structural and Molecular Biology)
- 'Family Portrait' by Mr Vlad Tenu (Bartlett)
Helene Burningham also collected a bottle of champagne from UCL Media Services, which voted her image their favourite.
A selection of the best entries is on display in an exhibition in the South Cloisters until 12 December.
A gallery of entries also forms the current UCL Views on this site, while several images are on display on the UCL Graduate School website. Follow the links above.