Information Services Division


Help & self-service resources for UCL Directory

How to guides

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I change my email/computer account details?

You should only have one personal UCL account and this should be associated with a 'friendly' email alias usually comprised of firstname.surname @ ucl.ac.uk (students - you will also have the year of your of enrolment in your alias).

How do I change my e-mail address?

Contact the ISD IT Services and request a new mail alias. Bear in mind that not all combinations of first/last name and/or initials will be available as they may be in use already or associated with an historical account.

How do I set a preferred UCL computer account?

You should only ever have one UCL account linked to your personal records. However, in some cases usually due to duplication when people start or change roles, you may have more than one account.

If the account displayed is not the one that you expect, contact the ISD IT Services. Having multiple accounts attached to a single UPI record can cause problems. If you accidentally have ended up with two, you should specify which account you prefer to keep so that the other account can be closed.

Unfortunately, if you have more than one directory entry (for different departments), it's not possible to set different addresses for each - only the preferred address will be used.

I've just discovered that I have another account. How do I access or delete it?

Contact the ISD IT Services - if you'd like the unused account closed, please quote the User ID that you'll find on the Preferences page.

How can I forward my mail?

You can arrange for e-mail to be forwarded from your UCL account by following instructions in the E-mail & Calendar section of the site.

How do I set my preferred department

If you are associated with more than one department, you can choose to Exclude all but your main department. This can be useful for people with staff and student associations or with honorary appointments in a second department.

View instructions on setting a preferred department


  • The Directory displays department data as recorded in the HR, Student or Visitor systems. If the incorrect department is displayed for you, you'll need to get the source record updated - contact your Departmental or Course Administrator in the first instance.
  • This guidance only affects the UCL Directory. Other systems may display other department details if you have more than one.
How do I change or add my phone number?

How do I change my phone number?:

The Directory Preferences page allows you to do two things:

  • Hide a phone number if you have more than one - by using the Exclude box.
  • Request a change to your extension - by typing it in the box and submitting the change. This request is processed by the ISD Telecoms team whose data then feeds back to the Directory (so a change can take a couple of days to complete).

Note: Phone information comes from the UCL Switchboard system and numbers are only displayed on the Directory once they've been correctly registered there.

How do I register a new phone number?:

Phone details for new members of staff should be registered with the Switchboard by Departmental Administrators - this is so that Telecoms can be clear about which department is paying for phone lines.

Departmental Administrators should register users by contacting the Telecoms team directly.

How do I change how my name is displayed?

You can enter preferred versions of your first and last names and combinations of your initials.

Please Note:

  • Different combinations of first name and initials will produce different results - if in doubt, contact the Directory Corrections Team who can advise and/or make the change on your behalf.
  • Name preferences are used by other UCL systems - for example the Research Publications Service and the IT Services. Other systems will make more use of this information in future.
  • These preferences do not change your UCL staff record. HR must record your name as it appears on official documentation. You can also update your "known as" name - i.e. the name HR will use when contacting you - by using the MyView application.
How do I become ex-directory?

Full instructions on how to request removal of your details from UCL public directories and web pages can be found on in the How To guide: How to have your details removed from the UCL Directory.

It is important that your Department is aware of your request and can make sure any departmentally owned web pages can be updated, too.

For any unanswered questions you may have, contact Directory Corrections.