A large scale facility for storing research data whilst your project is ongoing.
Request a new space for your research project (VPN required for access from outside UCL).
Manage access and keep track of your storage quota (VPN required for access from outside UCL).
Answers to common queries about this service.
- Stores data used in active, ongoing research projects.
- 5TB allocated at no-cost.
- Fully backed-up daily.
- Directly accessible via your computer’s Network Drive.
- Online administration tool for PIs (or project administrators) to manage project space.
- Contextual information to support data management.
- Specialist technical support available at email@example.com.
- Additional capacity available to purchase. It is costed on a per TB per year basis.
The Research Data Storage Service is a centrally-provided service for UCL researchers needing somewhere to store and share their research data during the active phase of a research project. It consists of a petabyte-scale storage facility suitable for all shapes and sizes of data, including very large files.
Rather than providing personal data storage, the service follows a project-based approach. Researchers can create projects, define the membership of that project and how long they will last, then upload and download files to and from the designated project space. Files are accessible only to named project members. Projects may be extended, their membership altered, or storage quotas amended via the admin interface.
There is no charge for projects requiring up to 5TB. Above this, storage is charged at £50 per TB per year, which can usually be costed in to funding bids. If you’d like to discuss costs further please get in touch with the RDS team.
When charging storage to a funded project, please bear in mind that funders will usually only cover the costs of managed storage during the lifetime of the project. Once a project ends we recommend moving any important data (and certainly any data underpinning a publication) to a long-term data repository, such as the UCL Research Data Repository.
Unless requested to do so in writing, UCL will not delete any files held in the Research Data Storage Service until a minimum of one year after a project has reached its end date, and then not without the consent of the Principal Investigator of a project, or, in the event that the PI be uncontactable, a designated project administrator. If no appropriate members of a project are contactable then the Research Data Services team will seek advice from the PI’s Head of Department or a designated Data Steward before deleting any files.
General enquiries and requests for support should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mounting your storage on your PC
Managing your storage
- Adding and removing project members
- Check usage and quota
- Control access for project members(SSH Users)
Other access guides
- How to access RDS data from UCL's research computing platforms
- How to access RDS from outside UCL
- How to access RDS through iRODS
- How to access the RDS Service using WinSCP
- How to access the RDS Service using Fetch