Creating Event Codes for UCLGuest Wi-Fi
For large events or events where the Guest details are not known in advance you can
create an Event Code. An Event Code is a code word that allows a specified number of guests to register themselves once they arrive and receive a username and password granting them access to the UCLGuest wireless network. Guest accounts will be valid for two weeks from point at which the Guest has successfully registered.
This guide is aimed at...
- Staff (sponsoring visitors to UCL)
Before you start...
- You should be an authorised sponsor of Guest accounts i.e. Room Bookings, Departmental Administrator, Departmental Computer Representative or other authorised person.
- You will need a valid UCL user ID and password
- Access to a computer connected to the UCL network
Please Note: The programme Onavo is known to prevent access to the UCLGuest Service. Onavo compresses data over 3G by proxying everything to a remote server.
Please uninstall this software before attempting to connect.
Access the Guest Manager
- Guest Manager Web page.
This will take you to the login page of the Guest Manager, enter your username and password and click the Login button.
Fig 1 - Guest manager log in screen
You will then be taken to the Getting Started page
Fig 2 - Getting Started screen
From the Getting Started page click the Create an Event Code link from the main screen or click Create Event Code from the Event Codes section of the navigation pane on the left side of the screen. This will take you to the Create Event Code screen.
Fig 3 - Create Event code screen
On the Create Event Code page enter the following information:
- Code Name: This will be the code word distributed to Guests to allow them to register themselves on the UCLGuest Wireless network. Event Codes need to be unique, it is therefore advisable to include the date of the start of the event within the code i.e. Conference_Lectures_31/10/11. UCLGuest Wireless Service – Sponsor User Guide
- Description: Please enter the name of the event, who the event is run by and the location of the event.
- Accounts can be created between: The dates between which the Event Code will be valid.
- Timezone: This cannot be changed from Europe/London
- Account Limit: The total number of Guest accounts that can be created using the Event Code.
Click on the Create Event Code button to create the Event Code. If a necessary field has not been entered, the account duration is too long or an event code with that code name already exists an error message will appear at the top of the page telling you what needs to be rectified. Once the Event Code has been created you will see a new page showing the Event Code details.
Fig 4 - Event code created
Related guides & other info
Help & Support
For further help and assistance you will need to contact the IT Services.