A scholarly hub for researchers, policy makers and practitioners.
Director: Professor Tatiana Fumasoli
The Centre for Higher Education Studies (CHES) was founded in 1986 and researches higher education systems and policy, institutions and their governance and management, internationalisation and globalisation of knowledge production, and learning, teaching and assessment.
- Our staff
- Professor Tatiana Fumasoli
The CHES Team
- Professor Claire Callender
- Dr Vincent Carpentier
- Professor Lesley Gourlay
- Dr Gwyneth Hughes
- Dr Victoria Showunmi
- Dr Holly Smith
- Mr Rex Knight, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr Sazana Jayadeva, email@example.com
- Dr Giulio Marini, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Professor Emeritus Sir Peter Scott
Study with us
Higher Education Studies MA and Higher Education Management MBA
Applications have been suspended as part of ongoing curriculum development in our department - occasionally it is necessary to suspend programmes in order to allow us to review our offer.
If you have any questions or would like to be informed about the on-going curriculum development, do not hesitate to contact the relevant programme administrator:
- Higher Education Management MBA: Michelle Summerfield at email@example.com
- Higher Education Studies MA: Dr Holly J Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org
For information on the modules running during the academic year 2020/21 please visit the module catalogue.
Students undertaking doctoral research at CHES investigate topics such as higher education policy, university governance and management, teaching and learning.
To find a supervisor, contact a departmental graduate tutor:
- Short courses
We run short courses in the UK and abroad on higher education systems and policy, institutions and their governance and management, internationalisation and globalisation of knowledge production, and learning, teaching and assessment.
Example of a recent short course that ran in 2019/20: Leaders in University Management
Future short courses will be announced here in due course.
- Our research
We also produce books and papers as a contribution to the research literature and other research and scholarly output.
For full details see:
- UCL Research Portal, IRIS for more about our researchers, publications, activities, groups and themes.
We undertake a wide range of consultancy projects on the topic of policy, governance, management and organisation of Higher Education.
- Research events
CHES research events
These events provide a forum for academic debate, policy analysis and practice insight in higher education and supporting the exchange of theories, methods and data across the social sciences.
We run three types of research events:
- Symposia: international academics and experts meet to present papers and to discuss future research agendas.
- Seminars: a top scholar presents a piece of their research.
- Doctoral seminars: PhD and EdD students in the field of higher education studies present their ongoing research.
If you would like to present your research as part of the CHES research events, please contact: email@example.com
- Public engagement
- Rethinking the Business Model of Higher Education, QS event Crisis Management: Remaking European higher education amid unfolding social realities | Tatiana Fumasoli | 28-30 June 2022 9.30am-12.30pm
- Universities' crisis management response to the global pandemic, University of Bristol - Speaker: Tatiana Fumasoli | 15 June 2022 1pm - 2pm
- The globally engaged university: organisational capacity and strategic positioning at times of Covid 19, Institute for Higher Education Management (Vienna) - Speaker: Tatiana Fumasoli | 24 March 2022
- Influences on and dimensions of English university governing body roles, Centre for Global Higher Education - Alison Wheaton (Doctoral student of Tatiana Fumasoli) | 28 April 2022 2pm - 3pm