A scholarly hub for researchers, policy makers and practitioners.
Director: Dr Tatiana Fumasoli
The Centre for Higher Education Studies (CHES) was founded in 1986 and researches higher education systems and policy, institutions and their governance and management, internationalisation and globalisation of knowledge production, and learning, teaching and assessment.
- Our staff
The CHES Team
- Professor Claire Callender
- Dr Vincent Carpentier
- Dr Tatiana Fumasoli
- Professor Lesley Gourlay
- Dr Gwyneth Hughes
- Professor Simon Marginson
- Professor Emeritus Sir Peter Scott
- Dr Holly Smith
Study with us
Higher Education Studies MA and Higher Education Management MBA
Applications have been suspended as part of ongoing curriculum development in our department - occasionally it is necessary to suspend programmes in order to allow us to review our offer.
If you have any questions or would like to be informed about the on-going curriculum development, do not hesitate to contact the relevant programme administrator:
- Higher Education Management MBA: Michelle Summerfield at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Higher Education Studies MA: Stephanie Fox at email@example.com
See all Graduate Taught courses.
Students undertaking doctoral research at CHES investigate topics such as higher education policy, university governance and management, teaching and learning.
To find a supervisor, contact a departmental graduate tutor:
- Short courses
We run short courses in the UK and abroad on higher education systems and policy, institutions and their governance and management, internationalisation and globalisation of knowledge production, and learning, teaching and assessment.
Our centre conducts funded research into higher education.
- Research on 'Shifting Landscapes: meeting the staff development needs of the changing academic workforce' for the Higher Education Academy
- Discussion document on 'Shifting academic careers: implications for enhancing professionalism in teaching and supporting learning' for the Higher Education Academy
- Review of the National Student Survey for HEFCE, with NatCen and IES
- Managing the Student Experience, for the Higher Education Academy
- Project with LLAKES on student debt, higher education participation and intermediate skills development.
We also produce books and papers as a contribution to the research literature and other research and scholarly output.
For full details see:
- UCL Research Portal, IRIS for more about our researchers, publications, activities, groups and themes.
We undertake a wide range of consultancy projects on the topic of policy, governance, management and organisation of Higher Education.
- Seminar series
CHES seminar series
The CHES seminars provide a forum for debate and analysis of issues affecting policy, practice and research in higher education, supporting the exchange of views and experiences across higher education.
Doctoral seminar series
This doctoral seminar series offers an opportunity for PhD and EdD students in the field of Higher Education Studies to present their research.
These seminars are open to the public but will be of particular interest to doctoral students, research associates and members of the faculty.
If you are interested in delivering a presentation as part of the CHES Doctoral Seminar Series, please contact Dr Tatiana Fumasoli: firstname.lastname@example.org