Train to teach with an IOE School Direct partner school and you will benefit from the expertise of one of the world’s leading providers of teacher education.
- Learn to teach with the best
IOE is one of the UK’s largest teacher training providers and offers more PGCE subjects than anyone else in the UK. Through our breadth of expertise, our unique training approach and our ideal location at the heart of London, we are leading the way, shaping the future of education for the next generation.
- The IOE approach
Our outstanding team will support you with the skills and knowledge you need from the moment you step into the classroom, but we know that learning to teach is much more than that – we’ll prepare you to build a fulfilling long-term career in education.
- Our education expertise
We work with global partners to find the solutions to real-world challenges. Our work creates opportunities and promotes social justice, supporting people of all ages to thrive in today’s world and giving them the tools to adapt and contribute to the future.
- Study in London
Our teacher training students get to experience the amazing benefits of living in London and working in the capital’s diverse and exciting schools. More London schools chose to partner with IOE for teacher training placements than with any other university.
- Meet our PGCE students
Recent trainee teachers share what motivates them to teach.
School Direct (Tuition Fee) route
A programme awarding Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) and Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).
This programme is school-led, rather than university-led, meaning that you can choose a group of schools to work with by applying directly via UCAS to the relevant alliance.
Your alliance will arrange the two school placements that form part of the programme, and you will attend training days at IOE.
You will spend two-thirds of your time (120 days) in school and 60 days at IOE.
The programme consists of three core modules:
- two Master’s-level (level 7) modules, which are assessed through written assignments (and presentation - Primary only), and
- the Professional Practice module, which is assessed by the observation of practical teaching in placement schools.
Master’s level credits
Can often be carried forward onto full Master’s programmes at IOE - check individual Graduate Taught programmes for requirements.
Partners offering the Tuition Fee route 2023-24
Recruiting for the Primary Tuition Fee route (PGCE Primary)
- Catholic Schools’ Partnership
- Eleanor Palmer Primary School
- Primary Advantage
- Reach Teach Primary Partnership
- Wandle Teaching School Hub
Recruiting for the Secondary Tuition Fee route (PGCE Secondary)
Check each partner's profile for the specific subjects that are available.
- Academies Enterprise Trust: London
- Agnus Dei Teaching School Alliance
- Beal High School (NELTA)
- Catholic Schools' Partnership
- Kingston School Direct
- North London New River Teaching Alliance
- Orleans Park Teaching Alliance
- Seven Kings Teaching School Alliance
- Teach Wimbledon
- The Compton School
- Valentines High School
- Waltham Forest Teaching School Alliance
- Wandle Teaching School Hub
- West London Teacher Training Alliance