Reference requests for current and ex-employees
Guidelines on providing references for current and ex-employees.
It is UCL's policy to provide references regarding the employment of current or past UCL employees, when requested by another employer or potential lender. Managers providing references for present and past employees of UCL should read and comply with the following guidelines.
- The legal position
- Aims of the reference
- Providing a reference
- Liability and disclaimers
- Confidentiality and disclosure of references
- Telephone or verbal references
- Unsolicited references
- Criminal convictions and disciplinary sanctions
- Requesting references for prospective UCL employees
Who should read this policy
- All staff
Last updated: Wednesday, October 11, 2023