UCL Human Resources


Financial Assistance for Departments to Cover Parental Leave

Please Note : Individuals requiring information regarding their individual maternity leave, paternity/partner’s leave, shared parental leave or adoption leave rights should contact HR Services. 

In the event that a member of staff applies to take maternity, paternity, shared parental or adoption leave under UCL’s procedures the Department may request financial assistance to cover the duties of the absent employee which need to be undertaken within the period of absence and which cannot be covered by other staff within the department, within their usual working week.

Applications should be made by the Head of Department to their School Finance contact and should detail. the name of the individual, the period of leave, whether it is paid or unpaid leave, the detail of the work to be covered and the plans to cover the work in question (employment of a temporary member of staff or by paying overtime to other staff etc.).

The majority of external funding bodies will meet maternity leave costs where these have been notified to the sponsor, by the investigator, in advance of the costs being incurred. Where no provision is made by the sponsor, the cost of maternity pay will be met by UCL. Queries regarding the charging of maternity leave/cover to external grants and contracts should be directed to Research Administration.

Research Councils UK (RCUK) is the strategic partnership of the UK's seven Research Councils:

  1. Arts & Humanities Research Council (AHRC);
  2. Biotechnology & Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC);
  3. Economic & Social Research Council (ESRC);
  4. Engineering & Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC);
  5. Medical Research Council (MRC);
  6. Natural Environment Research Council (NERC);
  7. Science & Technology Facilities Council (STFC).

They have produced a comprehensive briefing providing information relating to Maternity, Paternity and Adoption Leave and Pay from the Terms and Conditions of Grants and Training Grants and the RCUK Training Grant Guide and Research Council Funding Guides.

For School Finance contacts see the Finance Division list of contacts.