Sophie Page joined UCL History as a permanent lecturer in 2002 after studying at the Warburg Institute, UCL and Cambridge.
Sophie works in the area of European medieval magic and astrology, especially in relation to orthodox religion, natural philosophy, medicine, and cosmology. She is also interested in the imagery of medieval magic, especially diagrams, and in the history of animals in the Middle Ages.
Sophie's publications include Magic in the Cloister: Pious Motives, Illicit Interests, and Occult Approaches to the Medieval Universe (2013), two edited collections, The Unorthodox Imagination in Late Medieval Britain (2011) and the Routledge history of Medieval Magic and two books published with the British Library: Astrology in Medieval Manuscripts and Magic in Medieval Manuscripts. Sophie is currently working on a book on animals and demons in the Middle Ages and an article on diagrams in medieval magic texts. Sophie was the curator of Spellbound: Magic, Ritual and Witchcraft (Ashmolean Museum, August 2018 –January 2019)
Sophie is interested in receiving research proposals from prospective students on topics in medieval cultural history, especially the occult sciences (magic, astrology, and alchemy) and their relationships to mainstream religion, natural philosophy, medicine, and cosmology; and on the history of animals.
Current students: Jacqueline Derrick, 'Marino Sanudo: Merchant Manuals, Crusade Proposals, and Geographical Knowledge in the Fourteenth Century', Jack Ford, 'The five senses and "affectivity" in the late Middle Ages' and Vanessa Silva Baptista, ‘A Cultural History of Magic Tricks in the Late Middle Ages’
Previous students: Kathleen Walker-Meikle, 'Late Medieval Pet-Keeping: Gender, Status, and Emotions'
- ‘Medieval Magic Figures: Between Image and Text’ in S. Page and C. Rider, eds, Routledge History of Medieval Magic (2019), pp.432-7
- ‘Love in a Time of Demons: Magic and the Medieval Cosmos’ in S. Page and M. Wallace, eds, Spellbound; Magic, Ritual and Witchcraft (2019), pp.19-63
- Magic in the Cloister: Pious Motives, Illicit Interests, and Occult Approaches to the Medieval Universe, University Park: Pennsylvania State Press, (2013).
- Good Creation and Demonic Illusions: The Medieval Universe of Creatures', in B. Resl and L. Kalof, eds, A Cultural History of Animals, vol. 2, The Medieval Age (1000-1400) (2007), pp.27-57.
For a full list of publications, see Sophie's Iris profile.
2015-18: Co-investigator on the three-year Leverhulme-funded research project Inner Lives: Emotions, Identity, and the Supernatural, 1300-1900.
- The Medieval Universe (first- and second-year undergraduate survey module)
- Magic in the Middle Ages (second-year research seminar)
- Magic in the Middle Ages (MA Medieval and Renaissance Studies elective module)
- Identity, Cosmology and the Supernatural (Special Subject: third-year paper)