Take part in Green Impact to help make UCL a sustainable place to work and study.
9 November 2016
Green Impact, UCL's annual sustainability programme is now live for the 2016-17 period, and all departments and divisions are encouraged to take part.
UCL is a ‘First Class’ university in the People & Planet University League which ranks UK universities on their environmental and ethical performance. This is because UCL's Sustainability team and network of green champions work hard throughout the year to embed sustainability into research, buildings and behaviours at UCL, and beyond.
But with 38,000 students and 11,000 staff UCL still has a large environmental impact. Last year alone we purchased 50,000,000 sheets of paper, which if stacked up would be over 3 miles high! If we want to seriously improve UCL’s environmental impacts we need everyone to help make UCL sustainable.
How can I help?
Participate in Green Impact, UCL’s environmental competition and accreditation scheme to make your department or division more sustainable.
How does Green Impact work?
Green Impact helps to break down environmental improvements into simple, bite-size actions. These are set out in an online workbook that makes this easy, participatory and fun. UCL's Sustainability Team will be on hand to provide help, every step of the way. And at the end of the year you will achieve an award at UCL’s annual Sustainability Awards.
Last year 33 teams took part in the programme, from engineering and medicine, to the careers service and libraries. Find out more about last year’s winners here.
Benefits of taking part
- Gain knowledge in sustainability literacy, a skill required by most employees
- Get IEMA-accredited training (if you audit teams)
- Improve your skills in leadership, project management, communication and team work
- Meet other people with similar interests in your department and across UCL
- Join a dynamic green champion network to tackle UCL’s major sustainability issues and make a real positive impact
- Students will gain recognition on their Higher Education Achievement Report (HEAR) and both students and staff will gain recognition at UCL's Sustainability Awards
- It's fun and free
Find out more and get involved
This year, Green Impact will run from November 2016 until May 2017. You can find out about the programme here, or just contact the Sustainability Team. If you'd like to get started, you can register your team’s Green Impact workbook at: www.greenimpact.org.uk/ucl.