The Martin Swales Library
The Martin Swales Library, located in 16-18 Gordon Square (G8), is named after Martin Swales, Professor of German at UCL from 1976 until 2003, a great teacher and lover of literature who has inspired generations of students in our Department.
The journal holdings of the Martin Swales Library are located in the space before Room G6. Books should not be removed from the library. Course books and other literature are freely available for students' use in the Undergraduate Common Room.
- Download The Martin Swales Library Catalogue (for PC-users)
Please note that this document opens an Access database. Once the database has opened, you should be within the 'Forms' section and be able to see the Catalogue. Double-click to open it.
To search an Access database, either click on the binoculars in the toolbar, or use Ctrl. + F. Remember that you have to be in the correct data field for your search - so click in the 'Author' field if you're searching under Authors, for example.
Also, make sure you've selected 'Any Part of Field' in the Match part of the Find and Replace box.
- Download The Martin Swales Library Catalogue (for Mac-users)
Please note that this document opens in an Excel spreadsheet. To search an Excel spreadsheet, use Ctrl+ F or use the grey buttons on each column - you will also be able to filter information this way.
- General Resources
- British Library
- Cambridge Journals Online
- Encyclopedia Britannica
- Erudera Guide
- Grove Art Online
- Ingenta Connect
- International Medieval Bibliography
- Index to Theses
- Iter Bibliography
- MLA International Bibliography
- Oxford English Dictionary
- Senate House Library
- UCL Library
- UCL Library: online databases
- University of London Libraries
- Websites and Online Resources
The German Department gratefully acknowledges Professor Bruce Duncan, Dartmouth College (USA), for his kind permission to use.
- Media (TV, Radio, Print)
- Publishers' Resources
- Literature and Culture
- The British-German Association
- The Dartmouth College Annotated Texts
- Deutsches Filminstitut Frankfurt
- Enzyklopädie Datenbank
- German Dictionary online
- German Films
- German Literature website
- German Spelling Reform
- Goethe's poetry
- The Martin Swales Library
- Projekt Gutenberg with kind permission from Professor Bruce Duncan, Dartmouth College (USA)
- The Wiener Library
- London's Resources