There are several funding opportunities for prospective and current research students, the most important of which are listed below.
Further funding opportunities can also be found at UCL scholarships and funding.
Our funding panel will only consider your scholarship application if you have already completed the UCL procedure for admission as a postgraduate research student by the time you apply. This can take up to six weeks so you should ensure that you leave time for referees to submit their references and any additional checks to be completed before any deadlines as notified below.
- Internal deadlines for scholarship schemes vary, but for UCL ones – UCL-RES, ROS – both the admissions applications (created in the Applicant Portal) and the scholarship applications (sent to firstname.lastname@example.org) need to be complete (including any additional documentation and letters of recommendation) by 13th January 2023.
- Funding for Research in Modern Languages
SELCS is part of the AHRC consortium London Arts and Humanities Partnership (LAHP), along with King' College, London and the School of Advanced Study.
- More information of these awards, including how to apply can be found on the LAHP website.
NOTE: Applications for joint-supervision between two of the partners of LAHP, whilst not necessary, are particularly encouraged.
- Research Excellence Scholarship (UCL-RES)
UCL aims to attract high-quality students to undertake research. The Research Excellence Scholarship is awarded on the basis of academic excellence and research potential. Financial circumstances are not taken into account.
Guidance on how to apply and all forms required can be downloaded here.
To apply for UCL-RES:
- Apply for admission to UCL. Applications must be complete, with all supporting documents received, by 13th January 2023. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that referees are aware of deadlines and respond accordingly.
- Submit the scholarship application including all additional documents (lay summary of research proposal and additional reference) to email@example.com before the Scholarship deadline.
- All applicants for the UCL-RES who have an overseas fee status and are permanent residents of the Peoples' Republic of China will be considered for the CSC Scholarships.
Deadline: Scholarship applications, including the additional reference from your project supervisor and lay summary, must be received by firstname.lastname@example.org before the deadline of 13th January 2023.
Please note: prospective applicants for Gender and Sexuality Studies must have contacted the Programme Director, Dr Alex Hyde (email@example.com) before submitting an application for admission, rather than contacting potential supervisors directly. They must submit the application for admission to UCL by 1 December 2023, and then complete the UCL-RES application by 13th January 2024. Please ensure you follow the instructions at the bottom of the programme webpage.
- AHRC/LAHP Studentships
Subject to availability, these awards will cover:
- Tuition fees for a maximum of three years at the Home/EU rate
- Annual maintenance grant or allowance (stipend)
- LAHP scholarships are open to UK and overseas students (see the LAHP website for further details)
Deadline: Full details can be found on the LAHP website.
- UCL Research Opportunity Scholarship (UCL-ROS)
UCL is committed to diversifying the student community at doctoral level, so has launched an exciting new scholarships programme to support BME postgraduate research degree students. The scheme offers full financial support and a skills development programme.
- More information about the scheme can be found here
- Research Excellence Scholarships for Cross Disciplinary Training One-Year)
There are up to 4 scholarships available to current full-time research students who wish to spend an additional year of their MPhil/PhD or EngD in another UCL department acquiring research skills and knowledge from a different discipline, which can be applied in their normal area of research. An academic department can nominate one top applicant.
Deadline: 13th January 2023
- UCL, Bloomsbury & East London Doctoral Training Partnership
Applicants to the Gender and Sexuality Studies PhD programme may be eligible for UBEL scholarships funded by the ESRC. Propsective candidates must have applied to UCL by 1st December 2022.
- Trudeau Foundation Scholarships
The Pierre Elliot Trudeau Foundation provides up to 15 scholarships annually to prospective and current MPhil/PhD students to the value of $60,000 per scholar for up to four years. Applicants must be Canadian citizens or landed immigrants pursuing full-time doctoral studies in Canada or foreign institutions. Candidates will be considered by the Foundation only if they have been nominated by a university.
- Read more about the application process and download the application form for the Trudeau Foundation Scholarships.
- Studentships in Russian, Slavonic and East European Languages and Culture
Students planning comparative research that includes a focus on Russian, Central and East European languages and culture are encouraged to explore this funding opportunity. Applicants for a CEELBAS Studentship must have already received an offer of a place at the university.
- Read more about the Centre for East European Language-Based Area Studies (CEELBAS) studentships
- China Scholarships Council / CSC-UCL Joint Research Scholarship
Funding offered by UCL and the China Scholarships Council (CSC) aims to expand the educational, cultural and technological co-operation between the UK and China.
Departments are able to submit one extra nomination if they have a student wishing to apply for one of the 5 open UCL-China Scholarships Research Scholarships.
- More information about the scheme can be found here.