(CANCELLED) UCLDutch hosting Certificaat Nederlands als Vreemde Taal examinations 2020
3 March 2020
Please note: These exams have been cancelled until further notice.
UCL Dutch is hosting the official Certificaat Nederlands als Vreemde Taal (CNaVT) exams in May 2020 (1-15 May). These exams are set and marked by an external institution, under the auspices of the Nederlandse Taalunie. They are open to both UCL students and Dutch language learners from outside the college, who would like to obtain an official qualification.
What is it?
The exams cater for different language levels and areas of interest; they cover all skills (reading, writing, listening and speaking) and are quite extensive. If you pass, you receive a certificate that is widely recognised by Dutch and Flemish organisations and educational institutions.
The exam is offered on five levels / domains, based on the CEFR levels (Common European Framework for Languages – for a self-assessment grid, click here).
- INFO: maatschappelijk informeel; tourist and informal profile = CEFR level A2 (suitable for UCL BA Dutch first year)
- FORM: maatschappelijk formeel; more formal social profile = CEFR level B1 (very manageable for UCL BA Dutch second year)
- PROF: zakelijk professioneel; professional profile = CEFR level B2 (challenging but attainable for UCL BA Dutch second year)
- STRT: educatief startbekwaam; intermediate educational level = CEFR level B2 (challenging but attainable for UCL BA Dutch second year)
- EDUP: educatief professioneel; advanced educational level = CEFR LEVEL C1 (UCL BA Dutch final year)
More information in English can be found on the CNaVT website, where you can also access sample exams.
How to enrol
Deadline for enrolment is 15 March 2020, and you can enrol online via http://taalunie.enetassess.com/ .
There is a fee of £75 for UCL students (incl. CLIE students; institution code: 36B16425), £100 for people outside UCL, which needs to be paid before 25/03/2019. Payment information will be sent upon enrolment. In the on-line registration module, you still need to tick the box ‘betalen’ to finalise your enrolment.
Dates of exams
We will organise the dates at the end of March, when the UCL exam table has been announced, so we can work around it. For reasons of fairness, all people taking the same level need to take the exam at the same time. In order to accommodate the growing number of younger candidates taking the STRT educatief startbekwaam (B2) exam, that exam will take place on either Saturday 2 or 9/5.
Please don't hesitate to contact Christine Sas if you have any questions, and feel free to forward this message to whoever you think might be interested, as the exam is open to anybody with an interest in getting a qualification in Dutch.