Advanced entrepreneurship skills for PhD students (SPERO Advanced)
9:30 am, 27 June 2019 to 4:30 pm, 28 June 2019
This free programme for UCL PhD students will give you the practical skills and knowledge you need to set up your own business.
- UCL students
UCL Innovation & Enterprise
UCL BaseKX103c Camley StreetLondonN1C 4PF
This two-day programme is designed for UCL PhD students who are considering starting a business but don’t feel that they have enough ‘business acumen’.
It'll help you:
- gain the business knowledge and professional skills you'll need to start a business
- connect with our business acceleration advisors who can provide tailored startup advice
- enter internal and external entrepreneurship competitions, e.g. Launch £10,000 and the Mayor’s Entrepreneur Competition
Who it's for
This programme is open to UCL PhD students from any discipline.
You should have either:
- attended SPERO Applied: Entrepreneurship essentials for PhD students
- a sound business idea you want to develop further
- some prior business experience you'd like to enhance with practical skills and knowledge
What you'll learn
Day 1: Company administration and financial planning for IP-rich startups
By the end of day one you'll be able to:
- build a startup profit and loss (P&L) in Excel, including developing sensible assumptions that underpin sales and revenue forecasts, and expenditure budgeting in line with a project roadmap
- approach and conduct meetings with collaborators (including other students and doctoral supervisors) about IP ownership, in line with UCL guidelines, to achieve agreements that encourage commercial innovation
- write term sheets that reflect company ownership terms and conditions, and investment financing agreements
Day 2: Professional influence to aid conversations with investors, suppliers and other stakeholders
By the end of the second day, you'll be able to:
- prepare for productive conversations with key stakeholders, so you can move the goals of your enterprise forward
- build commitment with those you work with, both within your team and outside, so that you can make your projects run more smoothly
- communicate with your audience to get your message across and gain their support
About the tutor
Warrick Harniess, Managing Director, Scandinavia Stories
Warrick began his career at Pearson Education, where he built two online learning ventures for Pearson UK, managing startup budgets of around £2 million. He pioneered a digital marketing and customer service strategy that created Pearson UK social media accounts with the greatest customer reach, shares and interactions. Warrick also created a customer support programme that helped Pearson-Edexcel achieve Investors in People Silver status and the Institute of Customer Service’s ServiceMark standard.
Mario Moustras, CEO and Founder of Mazamo Coaching
Mario is a leadership and talent development coach who works with researchers and entrepreneurs. Before becoming a coach, Mario worked for the Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC). He has a PhD in chemistry, and is a chartered scientist and Fellow of the RSC. Mario has worked with scientists and engineers across government agencies, industry and universities. He's led teams through science-related programmes in higher education, enterprise partnerships (especially with small companies) and technology policy.
Dates and times
This course runs over two days - Thursday, 27 June and Friday, 28 June 2019 - from 9.30am to 4.30pm.
“SPERO Advanced provides a really great insight into the practicalities of taking an idea from conception to business to scaling up. Great skills training and highly recommended.”
Deepak Chandrasekharan, PhD student, Division of Medicine
Read our privacy notice to understand how UCL Innovation & Enterprise will deal with your personal data.
UCL Innovation & Enterprise reserves the right to make changes to the programme, location and/or speakers without prior notice. Such alterations are occasionally necessary due to circumstances beyond our control.
This initiative is sponsored by Santander Bank and delivered by UCL Innovation & Enterprise. Find out more about the SPERO programme.