- New Students
- Course Units
- Undergraduate Handbook 2016-17
English Department Undergraduate Handbook
- BASc students
First-year UCL BASc students can take the designated half-unit ‘Introduction to English Literature’ (ENGL1004) as part of the BASc ‘Cultures’ pathway. This is examined by two final essays, but there are no additional tutorial essays to write (and first-year BASc students are not part of the English Department personal tutor system).
Much information about the course, and the assessment, is to be found on the course Moodle page for ENGL1004.
BASc students who achieve a mark of 60 or more in each of the two assessed essays for ENGL1004 can continue in subsequent years to take full-year courses (one or more, depending on their degree structure) along side second-and final-year BA English and Modern Language Plus students.
Continuing BASc students receive one tutorial per term with a personal tutor (in the autumn and spring terms) for each of their English courses. One essay is written for each tutorial; these are a requirement for the course, though tutorial essay marks do not contribute to the final assessment for the course. Second/Final Year BASc students will find information relevant to them in Part 1 of the Undergraduate Handbook, and should also refer to the ‘Guidance on Examinations 2016-17’ and ‘Style Sheet for Essays’ documents in the appendices.
BASc students do not have the option of writing a Course Essay in the place of a desk exam.
The English Department BASc Tutor (who convenes the ENGL1004 course) is Dr Victoria Symons.
- Punctuation Guide
This guide aims to explain the basic rules of punctuation, and to help undergraduates to avoid some of the most common errors. It is intended as a rapid reference tool and is by no means exhaustive.
For more detailed explanations students are advised to look at Fowler’s Modern English Usage.
- Style Sheet
- Examinations and Long Essays
Please see the Undergraduate Handbook 2016-17 for important information about the examinations, including the departmental 'Guidance on Examinations 2016-17' (in Appendix 3).
- Examination Descriptions 2017
- Research Essay Cover Sheet 2016-17
- Course Essay Cover Sheet 2016-17
- Style Sheet for Essays
- Examination past papers for 2nd and 3rd years (Link to UCL Library)
- BA English first-year Sessional Examination past papers are available from the first-year course Moodle page
Extenuating Circumstances Form:
For the UCL Extenuating Circumstances Claim Form, and Extenuating Circumstances Guidance for Students, please see the online UCL Academic Manual.
Undergraduate students should hand completed claim forms, together with any evidence, to Anita Garfoot in the English Department Office (within one week of the circumstance concerned).
- Second and Third Year examinations 2016 (2017 exam reports will be available in November 2017)
- Second and Third Year examinations 2015
- Second and Third Year examinations 2014
- First Year Sessional examinations 2017
- First Year Sessional examinations 2016
- First Year Sessional examinations 2015
- First Year Sessional examinations 2014
- Other Useful Links
Some important UCL sources of information are listed below.