Dr Francesca Boem
Dept of Electronic & Electrical Eng
Faculty of Engineering Science
- Joined UCL
- 9th Apr 2018
Dr Francesca Boem is a Lecturer and a member of the Sensors Systems and Circuits Research Group in the Electronic & Electrical Engineering Department at UCL.
She works in the Control Engineering research area. The objectives of her research are modelling, control, safety and security of dynamical systems. She has a strong background in optimization and machine learning.
Her current research interests include:
- Fault/anomaly detection and isolation,
- Security of control systems and cyber-physical systems,
- Distributed monitoring and fault-tolerant control methods for large-scale networked systems,
- Distributed estimation methods for sensor networks,
with applications to critical infrastructure systems, power networks, microgrids, water distribution networks, smart buildings, multi-agent and multi-robot systems, complex industrial plants.
She is also interested in the integration of machine learning techniques in control-based architectures for monitoring and control.
- 2018 – 2019, Lecturer of ELEC0023 Control Systems 1, 3rd year module in the UCL MEng Engineering (Electronic and Electrical) programme;
- 2018 – 2019, Lecturer of ELEC0021 Programming and Control, 2nd year module in the UCL MEng Engineering (Electronic and Electrical) programme, Control Systems part;
- 2018 - 2019, Supervision of 3 third-year project students and 1 fourth-year group project in the UCL MEng Engineering (Electronic and Electrical) programme.
- Co-supervision of 13 Master thesis students, both at the University of Trieste, Italy, and at Imperial College London, UK.
- Co-supervision of 5 Ph.D. students (2 of them have already graduated).
- Design of the MSc program on “Intelligent monitoring, control and security of Critical Infrastructure Systems” for the KIOS Centre of Excellence, within the TEAMING project, 2016.
- "Topics in Control” MSc module, at Imperial College London, February 2017 and February 2018.
Francesca Boem received the MSc degree (cum laude) in Management Engineering in 2009 and the PhD degree in Information Engineering in 2013, both from the University of Trieste, Italy. She was Post-Doc at the University of Trieste with the Machine Learning Group from 2013 to 2014. From 2014 to 2018, she was Research Associate at the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Imperial College London, with the Control and Power Research Group. Since April 2018 Dr. Boem is a Lecturer in the Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering at University College London (UCL). Since 2015 she has been part of the team at Imperial College which has been awarded the flagship EU H2020-WIDESPREAD-TEAMING project (€41 million total funding, €15 million by the European Commission) for the development of the EU KIOS Research and Innovation Centre of Excellence, a strategic partnership between University of Cyprus and Imperial College London. In February 2018 Dr. Boem has been awarded the Imperial College Research Fellowship. Dr. Boem is member of the IFAC Technical Committee 6.4 (“Fault Detection, Supervision & Safety of Technical Processes - SAFEPROCESS”) and Associate Editor for the IEEE Control System Society Conference Editorial Board and for the EUCA Conference Editorial Board.