Beacon Bursaries 2022/2023
The 2022/2023 Beacon Bursary funding round is now open. UCL Engagement is accepting applications for up to £2,000 until 17:00 on Wednesday 19th October 2022.
Who / what is the funding for?
The aim of the Beacon Bursary funding scheme is to advance the practice and culture of public and community engagement within UCL by enabling UCL staff, researchers and postgraduate students to:
- Explore mutually beneficial engagement between communities, UCL research and teaching.
- Evaluate, learn from and share their engagement activities.
- Listen to communities and voices heard less often.
There is also dedicated funding from UCL East for projects working with communities in east London. Additionally, we particularly encourage applications from:
- Teaching fellows that will foster connections and bring mutual benefit for UCL students and target communities.
- Those who are underrepresented in the sector and at UCL including but, not exclusive, to disabled, D/deaf and neurodiverse people, LGBTQ+ people, people from Black, Asian and Ethnic Minority backgrounds.
Support for applicants
We have compiled a list of Frequently Asked Questions that covers commonly asked questions regarding funding, applicant eligibility, the application process, the proposed project, and community partners.
If your questions are not answered by the Frequently Asked Questions, there will be five online drop-in advice and support sessions throughout September and October with members of the Engagement team. No pre-booking is required. Simply join the relevant Teams meeting link at any point within the designated hour to speak with staff about your application. You are welcome to drop in at more than one session.
There will be five online drop-in advice and support sessions throughout September and October with members of the Engagement team. No pre-booking is required. Simply join the relevant Teams meeting link at any point within the designated hour to speak with staff about your application. You are welcome to drop in at more than one session.
- Monday 12th September; 11:00-12:00 – Teams meeting link
- Tuesday 20th September; 10:30-11:30 – Teams meeting link
- Wednesday 28th September; 14:00-15:00 – Teams meeting link
- Thursday 6th October; 15:00-16:00 – Teams meeting link
- Friday 14th October; 10:00-11:00 – Teams meeting link
How to apply
Past Beacon Bursary projects
To learn about past Beacon Bursary projects, please select the year they were funded:
Further Information on UCL Engagement:
- UCL Engagement takes a collaborative approach to enabling brighter ideas through deeper connections. We focus on equipping UCL to listen and respond to community need, locally and globally. We spark ideas of how drawing on community-based experience and assets can lead to collaborative success in solving challenges and creating positive change together. We expand the conversations which inform UCL’s research and teaching, particularly to include those whose voices are heard less often or have been drowned out in the past. Importantly, we are committed to sharing what we learn about how to work with others to achieve more with government (national and local), UKRI and other funders, the Higher Education sector and beyond.
- UCL Engagement is based in the Office of the UCL Vice-Provost, Research, Innovation & Global Engagement (OVPRIGE) within Library, Culture, Collections & Open Science (LCCOS).
- The Beacon Bursary funding round is also support by UCL East’s Community Engagement programme supporting projects taking place in east London.
- UCL Engagement was established in 2008 as the Public Engagement Unit. Since then, UCL Engagement has awarded over £275,000 of funding to 164 projects through the Beacon Bursary scheme.
- This is the final year the Beacon Bursary fund will run. UCL Engagement is exploring options for future funding rounds based on over a decade of learning and experimenting with different formats. Please do get in touch if you would like to take part in the discussion.
- If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.