This project has sought to understand how the quality of information and public discussion during election and referendum campaigns could be improved. By examining existing practice in the UK and around the world, as well as proposals for innovative reforms, the project has developed proposals for how the conduct of election and referendum campaigns could be reformed to improve the quality of campaign discourse.
The report’s core recommendation is that a new ‘information hub’ should be established to give voters ready access to information during election and referendum periods. Information of many types should be available, including:
- basic information on where, when, and how to vote
- factual information on who the candidates are in any given area
- ‘voting advice applications’ that help voters compare their policy preferences to parties’ positions or to referendum options
- policy analyses exploring, for example, how policy proposals would affect the state of the economy or the health of public services
- evidence from deliberative exercises on what ordinary citizens think about the issues at stake when they have the chance to learn about, discuss, and consider those issues in depth.
The authors argue that, to ensure quality and sustainability, the information hub should be publicly funded and run by an independent public body. This body would not generate all the materials itself, but would gather them from diverse sources, vetted for quality and impartiality. Wherever possible, processes of deliberation among citizens would be integral to the development of all these materials.
The project was generously funded by the . It was led by , with Michela Palese as Research Assistant and McDougall Fellow.
- Renwick, Alan, and Michela Palese, Doing Democracy Better: How Can Information and Discourse in Election and Referendum Campaigns in the UK Be Improved? (Constitution Unit, March 2019).
Articles and Book Chapters
- Renwick, Alan, Michela Palese, and Jess Sargeant, ‘’ Political Quarterly 89, no. 4 (October–December 2018), 545–52.
- Renwick, Alan, and Michela Palese, 'Doing democracy better: a positive blueprint for the future', Constitution Unit blog, 06 March 2019.
- Palese, Michela, ‘’, Constitution Unit blog, 19 April 2018.
- Palese, Michela, ‘’, Constitution Unit blog, 25 September 2017.
- Renwick, Alan, and Michela Palese, ‘’, Constitution Unit blog, 30 May 2017.
- The research for this project contributed to the Unit’s work for the .
- It contributed to the Unit’s project on .
- It contributed to Alan Renwick’s work as advisor to the Council of Europe’s January 2019 report on .
- Alan Renwick has previously conducted research into discourse during the UK’s electoral reform referendum of 2011. This was published in .