Welcome to UCL Greek and Latin!
For PhD students starting their programme in September 2022
Welcome to UCL! The Director of the PhD programme in Greek, Latin, and the Ancient Middle East is Professor Stephen Colvin.
- There is a Common Room for postgraduate students in the Department of Greek and Latin (Gordon House) which you are welcome to use at any time.
Arrival at UCL
The academic session starts on Monday 26 September 2022: undergraduate teaching (full term) starts the following Monday.
- New PhD students should make an appointment to see Prof. Colvin during the week of 26 September (this can be done by email): either face-to-face meeting or via videolink.
- You can also take a look at the schedule for MA Induction, and if you are interested in any of the events you are very welcome to attend (but we shall cover important issues for research students in our one-to-one meetings).
Information and Welcome events
- Starting out at UCL
- UCL Guide for New Students
- International Students' Orientation Programme
- Online orientation for international students
- Students' Union Welcome Week 2022
- UCL library services: information and updates
- Institute of Classical Studies library: information and updates
- Eight top tips and pieces of advice for new PhD students
Doctoral school Welcome and Information
1. Induction: you can choose either 28 September (in person) or 3 October (online).
- Wednesday 28 September, 10:00 – 12:00 (Cruciform Building, Lecture Theatre): register
- Monday 3 October, 13:00 – 14:30 (online): register
3. Video (Elizabeth Halton, Deputy Director, Doctoral School): Key people, resources and spaces.
4. The Doctoral Skills Development Programme 2022-23: a range of optional courses available to all research students at UCL
Term Dates 2022-23
- First term: Mon. 26 September - Fri. 16 December 2022
- Second term: Mon. 9 January - Fri. 24 March 2023
- Third term: Mon. 24 April - Fri. 9 June 2023 (there is no undergraduate/MA teaching this term)