Welcome to UCL Greek and Latin!
For PhD students starting their programme in September 2023 or January 2024
Welcome to UCL! The Director of the PhD programme in Greek, Latin, and the Ancient Middle East is Professor Stephen Colvin.
- There is a Common Room for postgraduate students in the Department of Greek and Latin (Gordon House) which you are welcome to use at any time.
Arrival at UCL
The academic session starts on Monday 25 September 2023: undergraduate teaching (full term) starts the following Monday.
- New PhD students should make an appointment to see Prof. Colvin during the week of 25 September (this can be done by email): either face-to-face meeting or via videolink.
- You can also take a look at the schedule for MA Induction, and if you are interested in any of the events you are very welcome to attend (but we shall cover important issues for research students in our one-to-one meetings).
There will be a drinks reception for MA and PhD students on Weds 25 September 5.00-6.30pm in the Department.
Information and Welcome events
- Starting out at UCL
- UCL Guide for New Students
- International Students' Orientation Programme
- Online orientation for international students
- Students' Union Welcome Week 2023
- UCL library services: information and updates
- Institute of Classical Studies library: information and updates
- Eight top tips and pieces of advice for new PhD students
Doctoral school Welcome and Information
1. Induction: Monday 2 October, 14:00 – 15:00
- This is an online session for all new doctoral researchers, featuring speakers from the Doctoral School, and other key Research teams. The Doctoral School will welcome you and introduce you to life as part of the Research community at UCL. We will run through key steps in your doctoral journey and will explore the wide array of resources and support that will be available to you throughout your studies. From training and development opportunities to key aspects of our regulations and processes, this online session aims to introduce you to UCL and help you get started on your journey as a UCL doctoral researcher.
- Click here to book your tickets: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/doctoral-school-online-information-event-...
2. CANCELLED Wednesday 4 October, 16:30-19:00: In-person Doctoral Researcher Panel and Networking Event at IOE, Jeffery Hall, 20 Bedford Way London WC1H 0AL -- Owing to a national rail strike this event will now take place on Monday 6 November
- This is your chance to connect with fellow new doctoral researchers as well as gain valuable insights into the world of research from your more experienced colleagues. Key members of the Doctoral School and other research support offices will also be there for you to meet in person. After a brief welcome from Professor David Bogle, Pro-Vice-Provost Doctoral School, and Elizabeth Halton, Director of the Doctoral School, a panel of doctoral researchers will share their experiences, tips, and tricks to help you navigate your own research journey. The panellists will also answer any questions you may have about postgraduate research study and life at UCL. Following the panel there will be a drinks reception (with a variety of both alcoholic and non-alcoholic options), which will give you the opportunity to meet other new postgraduate researchers and network with the Research Community.
- Click here to book your tickets: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/doctoral-researcher-panel-and-networking-...
4. Video (Elizabeth Halton, Deputy Director, Doctoral School): Key people, resources and spaces.
4. The Doctoral Skills Development Programme 2023-24: a range of optional courses available to all research students at UCL
Term Dates 2023-24
- First term: Mon. 26 September - Fri. 15 December 2023
- Second term: Mon. 8 January - Fri. 22 March 2024
- Third term: Mon. 22 April - Fri. 7 June 2024 (there is no undergraduate/MA teaching this term)
The Departmental research afternoon in the first term will be on Weds 15 November, 1:30–4:00 pm.