Call for PhD Project Outlines 2024-25
Applications are invited for Project Outlines for the Child Health Research (CHR) PhD Studentships starting 1st October 2024.
Applications are invited from across the institute to offer students a wide range of projects spanning all aspects of research at GOS ICH.
Eligible GOS ICH supervisors are asked to submit project outlines by 31st July 2023. There will be a preliminary review of projects by a central review panel in August and approved projects included in the portfolio for advertising from mid-September. NB Inclusion of your project outline in the portfolio will not guarantee you a student.
The student recruitment process:
- New for 2024/25: Potential students will be required to contact supervisors on projects they are interested in to discuss the group's research and supervisory arrangements before applying. You may provide students with a supporting statement (<300 words) explaining their interactions with your group and any role they had in developing the project. Students will be able to upload these statements as part of their application. Supporting statements may be used to differentiate between students with identical rankings during shortlisting.
- Shortlisted students will be interviewed and selected by a central GOS ICH committee, chaired by the Institute Director in March 2024.
- If a student is offered a studentship:
- Student submits UCL Graduate application
- Supervisor works with the student on a full PhD project proposal (which will be submitted for internal peer review, and approval by the Student’s Thesis Committee to ensure that selected projects are appropriate and up to date).
- Supervisor submits required GOS ICH registration paperwork prior to a formal UCL offer being made.
- UCL offers expected to be confirmed by end of May 2024.
Project outlines should be submitted by the student's intended supervisor, supported, if necessary, by other senior members of staff.
Key eligibility criteria for project submission
To facilitate more GOS ICH PhD supervision (at primary or secondary level, as appropriate) for non-Professorial staff:
- All projects must have a mid-career researcher who is based at GOS ICH appointed to the supervisory team (i.e., Grade 7 or 8 researcher).
- Supervisors may submit up to 2 project outlines for inclusion in the portfolio but can only supervise one student.
- Supervisors who already have a CHR PhD student will not be eligible to submit a project for two years after the student has registered, although project outlines may still be submitted for other schemes within and outside UCL, and such projects can be retained on our self-funding portfolio.
- Supervisors must not exceed the UCL maximum number of research students permitted under their supervision.
APPLICATIONS FROM ELIGIBLE GOS ICH STAFF ONLY. Please read the full Terms and Conditions (UCL Login required) carefully before submitting the project outline.
Applications should be submitted by completing this MS Form (UCL Login required) by 5pm on Monday 31st July 2023. A previously submitted project may be re-submitted.
Please note that as the portfolio development occurs in Sept, late project submissions are not accepted.
GOSICH Unfunded Project Portfolio
If you only wish to submit a project to be included in the ICH Unfunded Project Portfolio for self-funded/externally sponsored students, please complete the MS Form where you can indicate this is your intention.
If you have any queries, please contact (firstname.lastname@example.org).