Prof Waseem Qasim
Professor of Cell and Gene Therapy
ICH Infect, Imm, Infla. & Physio Med
UCL GOS Institute of Child Health
- Joined UCL
- 1st Sep 2003
Development and application of genome editing and gene based therapies.
- I have a special interest T lymphocytes and how they can be used for powerful new therapies. My research at ICH/Great Ormond Street Hospital is centred on diagnosing and treating immune disorders, haematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT) and gene based therapies for leukaemia and other conditions.
- Lab projects are developing and testing viral vectors and gene editing reagents including TALENs and CRISPR/Cas9. Some of these are in clinical phase testing.
- We are characterising cellular immune recovery after transplantation and investigating umbilical cord blood T cells.
- My laboratory has a pipeline of vector development including gamma retroviral, lentiviral and transposon based systems, from initial development through to production at GMP.
- Development of genome editing and base editing for therapy is underway.
- The procedures have also been adapted for gene therapy for skin disorders. We have recently completed trials of gene corrected skin grafts for Nethertons syndrome and a trial for Epidermolysis Bullosa using engineered fibroblasts.
1. UCL- MSc Clinical Cell & Gene Therapy, module organiser and lecturer (2011)
2. UCL-Lecturer MSc Human Genetics, Disease to gene therapy, BIOL3013 (2005-2010)
3. UCL-Lecturer on MRes in Biomedicine course,Gene Therapy for Immunodeficiency (2003-2010)
4. UCL- Lecturer on MSc in Paediatrics course,Cell and gene therapy for cancer (2007-2009)
- University College London
- PhD, Gene Therapy | 2003
- Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health
- MRCPCH, Paediatrics and Child Health | 1997
- Royal College of Physicians
- MRCP, Paediatrics and Child Health | 1996
- University of Newcastle upon Tyne
- BMEDSCI, Immunology | 1993
- Newcastle University
- MBBS, Medicine | 1993
2003-2007 Leukaemia Research Fund clinician scientist/lecturer in Paediatric Immunology/ Bone marrow transplantation, Institute of Child Health & Great Ormond Street Hospital, London
2007-2012 LLR/ICH Senior Clinical Lecturer, Institute of Child Health & Great Ormond Street Hospital, London
2012- 2015 Reader in Cell & Gene Therapy, Institute of Child Health & Great Ormond Street Hospital, London
2015- NIHR Professor of cell and gene therapy developing next generation T cell gene therapies.