UCL ISH launches second annual photo competition 'Transformational Heritage’
12 June 2018
The UCL Institute for Sustainable Heritage is pleased to invite UCL academic and professional services staff and students to enter its Annual Photo Competition.
How are you behind a lens?
Do you see art in your research?
Can your camera take your research to the next level?
The UCL Institute for Sustainable Heritage is pleased to invite all UCL academic and professional services staff and students to enter its second Annual Photo Competition. This year we invite entries that capture the concept of 'Transformational Heritage'.
Heritage changes society. Whether intimate or monumental, heritage can give a sense of belonging or dislocation, a sense of sharing or isolation. Heritage is not neutral, and it can be changed too. Through the passage of time or by actions performed on heritage, it can change in subtle or dramatic ways, and with it our knowledge and understanding.
Entries should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Each entry must include the title of the work, photographer’s name, department and position. With your entry you are requested to provide a name for each entry. A 2-line commentary on your entry is also required. See full terms and conditions below.
The closing date for entries is 31 August 2018.
First prize - £100 Amazon voucher
Two joint runners up prizes - £50 Amazon voucher each
May Cassar, UCL ISH Director
Catherine Ince, Chief Curator, Victoria and Albert Museum
Ahmed Kawser, Last year's ISH Photo Competition winner
Alex Blackburn, BSEER Communications Manager
The judges are not eligible to take part in the competition and all entries will be judged anonymously.
See last year's entries here
- The competition is open to current and affiliated UCL staff and students only. Proof of current and affiliated staff or student id should be included with the entry.
- Entrants can enter a maximum of three images.
- The theme of the competition is Transformational Heritage.
- This competition closes midnight 31 August 2018.
- Entries should be emailed to email@example.com. Each entry must include the title of the work, photographer’s name, department and position.
- Entries must be saved as JPEG files with the photographer’s email address included in the file name. Please ensure images are of maximum possible resolution and quality.
- The images will be sent to the Judging Panel anonymously so that the decisions are impartial.
- All entries must be the original work of the entrant. The entrants must be the sole owner of copyright of all photographs entered and must have obtained permission of anyone featured in the entries or their parents/guardians if children under 16. Entrants must not have breached any laws when taking their photographs.
- UCL reserves the right to ask to see original files of any entries.
- Entrants will retain copyright to the photographs that they submit. By entering the competition all entrants grant UCL royalty-free non-exclusive licence for publication and exhibition of their photographs in print, on websites or in any other media. No fees will be payable for any of the above uses. While we make every effort to credit photographers, we cannot guarantee that every use of the photographs will include photographers' name.
- By entering, entrants will be deemed to have agreed to be bound by these rules.
- Images that are deemed to be inappropriate or in breach of these terms will be disqualified from the competition. This includes images that may be offensive, previously published, copyrighted (by somebody other than the entrant) or otherwise contrary to the spirit of the competition
- UCL ISH reserves the right to amend these rules at any time.