COP 24 official side-event and webinar
6:30 pm to 8:30 pm, 03 December 2018
The topic of this side-event is 'Achieving the IMO GHG Reduction Objectives: Fossil fuels, climate change and economic development', part of the 24th Conference of the Parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (Katowice, Poland – December 2018). It is now available to watch online.
Mr. Tristan Smith
Skype Meeting BroadcastOnlinen/an/a
In April 2018, the International Maritime Organization committed to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from international shipping by ‘at least’ 50% compared to 2008 levels and to phase out fossil fuels as quickly as possible this century. This side-event will discuss the key questions arising from this outcome:
- What rate of decarbonisation has IMO adopted in its Initial Strategy?
- What are the decarbonisation pathways, technologies and options for achieving the Strategy?
- What might the specific policy measures to achieve those pathways be?
- Could shipping’s decarbonisation increase costs and create economic impacts on states, what could be done to address this?
Watch the event
The event (video, audio and slides) was broadcast live via Skype Meeting Broadcast and is now available as a recording:
You can also download the slides from the event:
- IMO – Dr Edmund Hughes, Head Air Pollution and Energy Efficiency
- IPIECA – Jim Herbertson, Technical Director, Cliamte and Energy
- Japan Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism – Kohei Iwaki, Maritime Bureau
- UCL – Tristan Smith, Reader in Energy and Transport, co-chair CPLC
- 18.30 – 19.00 – panel member’s introductory remarks
- 19.00 – 19.30 – moderator led panel discussion
- 19.30 – 20.00 – online and in-room Q&A
- Find out more about shipping research at the UCL Energy Institute
- Visit the COP 2018 website: http://cop24.gov.pl/
- List of official side-events and exhibits at COP 2018:
- Follow the discussion on Twitter: #COP24
Image credit: Photo by kinsey on Unsplash