Prof Julio D Davila
Professor of Urban Policy and International Development
Head of Department
Development Planning Unit
Faculty of the Built Environment
- Joined UCL
- 15th Oct 1990
My research focuses on the role of city governments in progressive social and political transformation; governance dimensions of urban and peri-urban infrastructure (transport, water & sanitation); planning and urban informality; and linkages between rapid urbanisation and health. Current projects include: inter-disciplinary research on urban zoonotic diseases, Nairobi; social impacts of transport investments in Barranquilla, Colombia; and equity dimensions of public bicycles in Latin American cities. Recent research: ESRC-DFID-funded project on mobility, poverty reduction, social inclusion and urban integration in Medellin, Colombia; co-authored Lancet article on urban health.
See complete list of publications under Publications. My books include:
- Dávila, J D (editor), 2013, Urban Mobility and Poverty: Lessons from Medellin and Soacha, Colombia, Development Planning Unit, UCL and Universidad Nacional de Colombia, 214 pages.
- Allen, A, J D Dávila, and P Hofmann, 2006, Governance of water and sanitation for the peri-urban poor: A framework for understanding and action in metropolitan regions, Development Planning Unit, UCL, 124 pages.
- Brook, R and J D Dávila (editors), 2000, The Peri-urban Interface: A Tale of Two Cities, School of Agricultural and Forest Sciences, University of Bangor, and Development Planning Unit, UCL, 251 pages.
- Dávila, J D, 2000, Planificación y política en Bogotá: La vida de Jorge Gaitán Cortés (Planning and politics in Bogotá: A biography of Jorge Gaitán Cortés), Alcaldía Mayor de Bogotá, 230 pages.
- Dávila, J D, 2014, “Urban fragmentation, 'good governance' and the emergence of the competitive city”, in S. Parnell, S. and S, Oldfield (eds.) The Routledge Handbook on Cities of the Global South, Routledge, London, pp. 474-486.
- Dávila, J D, 2009, “Being a mayor: Four views from Colombia”, Environment and Urbanization, Vol. 20, No. 1, April 2009, pp. 37-57.
- Dávila, J D et al., 2006, Housing and Land for the Urban Poor. Case Studies of Bogotá-Soacha and Medellín, report for World Bank-Cities Alliance and Colombian Government (in Spanish)
Julio currently runs the Doctoral Seminar series for first-year MPhil/PhD students at the DPU and teaches in the following UCL Master's modules:
DPU: 'Industrialisation and infrastructure'
UCL Institute for Global Health: 'Urban health'
Bartlett School of Planning: 'Transport in emerging countries'
- University of London
- PhD, Planning studies | 1998
- University College London
- MSc, Urban Planning | 1984
- University College London
- P.Grad Dip, | 1983
- Universidad de los Andes
- BSc Hons, Civil Engineering | 1981
Julio D Dávila is Professor of Urban Policy and International Development, and Director of the Development Planning Unit, UCL.