Discovery Day: Creating a transdisciplinary vision
24 March 2020, 9:30 am–4:00 pm
Join the Transforming Construction Network Plus for its third Discovery Day and develop new transdisciplinary ideas to improve productivity in construction.
This event is free.
Transforming Construction Network Plus
Technology Innovation CentreUniversity of Strathclyde99 George StGlasgowG1 1RDUnited Kingdom
Creating a transdisciplinary vision: Explore the potential of transdisciplinary research to improve productivity in construction
Transdisciplinarity occurs when two or more discipline perspectives transcend each other to form a new holistic approach. Bringing together experts from the social sciences, digital, manufacturing and energy sectors, the Transforming Construction Challenge explores this transdisciplinary opportunity to address the productivity gap and change the way we build in the UK.
Challenging traditional thinking, this Discovery Day will offer the opportunity for the attendees to explore and discuss the role of the transdisciplinary research to the issues of productivity in construction. Exploring what it means, the potential benefits, challenges and how these may be overcome, the event will enable participants to:
- Apply the transdisciplinary approach to the Transforming Construction Challenge
- Reflect on different perspectives on the Transforming Construction Challenge
- Develop new ideas for future funding opportunities
- Network with academics and practitioners from a range of different backgrounds with a common interest in addressing the Transforming Construction Challenge
Administered by UK Research and Innovation, and supported through the Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund, the Transforming Construction Challenge seeks to produce safe, healthy, and efficient buildings by bringing together the construction, manufacturing, energy, social sciences and digital sectors. As part of this programme, the Transforming Construction Network Plus is uniting academic and industrial communities to create a new research and knowledge base, dedicated to address the systemic problems holding back the sector.
Applications from industrialists, early career researchers and probationary lecturers are particularly welcome. Places are strictly limited, so please register your interest by 12pm Friday 6th March. Applicants will be notified within 5 working days if their application has been successful.
Agenda - Discovery Day
09:30 - Registration and coffee
10:00 - Welcome and introductions
10:10 - Perspectives on Transforming Construction
- A Challenge perspective – Speaker TBC
- A UKRI perspective - Dr Adam Luqmani
- A N+ perspective - Professor Jan Godsell
- A Transdisciplinary perspective - Professor Jill MacBryde
11:00 - Workshop 1: Exploring transdisciplinary research
- What is transdisciplinary research?
- What are the potential benefits?
- What are the challenges and how could they be overcome?
12:30 - Networking Lunch
13:15 - Workshop 2: Applying the transdisciplinary approach to the Transforming Construction Challenge
- Key Transforming Construction Challenges that may benefit from a transdisciplinary approach
- Key disciplines and what they bring to addressing the challenge
- Pitch development
14:45 - Coffee break
15:00 - Presentations, peer voting & feedback
16:00 - Close
About our speakers
- Professor Jan Godsell, N+ Co-Investigator, Professor of Operations and Supply Chain Strategy, WMG, University of Warwick
- Dr. Adam Luqmani, Senior Portfolio Manager, Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC)
- Professor Jill MacBryde, Professor of Innovation and Operations Management, Director of Research, Department of Design, Manufacturing and Engineering Management, University of Strathclyde