The MSc in Smart Cities and Urban Analytics looks to take advantage of data and technological innovations to tackle some of the fundamental problems facing the urbanised world.
The programme is unique in its focus on the core research challenges that relate to the infrastructure of smart cities.
From their operational functions and planning, through to management and control and optimisations to explore the notion of a city as a laboratory for innovation, the course reflects the change that technologies are making to the operation and our understanding of the city.
About the course
The MSc provides portfolios of urban simulation in order to:
- inform future design
- explore and develop technologies around sensing and flows
- develop an understanding of smart systems theory
- develop a skill set in quantitative methods, geographic information science and programming
The course builds on the need for a skill set in programming, spatial data capture and the ability for urban analysis with an understanding of the theory and context to urban systems.
The programme is modular, consisting of a compulsory dissertation, six mandatory taught modules and one optional module.
Students are equipped with key quantitative practical skills such as mathematical and statistical modelling, computer programming, spatial analysis and cartographic visualisation, underpinned by broad theoretical perspectives on the demographics, economics, form, function, network interactions, governance, policy, planning and – crucially – science of cities across the world.
There are two different routes for this programme, Smart Cities & Urban Analytics MSc and Smart Cities & Urban Analytics (RTPI Pathway) MSc. The RTPI pathway is available to all, although only applicants who hold a first degree in planning already approved by the RTPI as the first three years of an accredited 3+1 programme will gain full RTPI accreditation at the end of this degree.
For further details and how to apply, please see UCL’s prospectus.
You can also find out more about the programme on Facebook.
Why choose The Bartlett?
- Located within the UK’s largest multidisciplinary faculty of the built environment, in one of the world’s top universities
- Based in central London, close to world-leading architectural, engineering and creative practices, many of whom are partners
- Host to students from over 40 nations, many of them among the most sought-after in the world for their drive, creativity, and skills