Mrs Harriet Richardson
Honorary Senior Research Associate
The Bartlett School of Architecture
Faculty of the Built Environment
- Joined UCL
- 29th Oct 2013
Harriet Richardson is an architectural historian working on the Survey of London. Currently she is working on the area of Eastern Marylebone, with a particular focus on the medical history of that area. Previously she worked on the Battersea volumes, researching the parks and open spaces, health and welfare buildings, Battersea Dogs Home, and areas of housing development.
Harriet Richardson studied English and Art History at the University of Nottingham, and then Architectural History at the University of St Andrews where she researched the restoration of Kellie Castle, Fife, in the 19th century. After working for the RCAHMS in the National Monuments Record for Scotland as a lowly curator, she spent two years working on a Scottish Research Council funded project recording hospitals buildings throughout Scotland. This led to her appointment on the RCHME's Hospitals Project, a National project that ran from 1991-3, recording English hospitals built before 1948. Harriet then went on to edit the resultant publication. During that time she was based with the Survey of London and on the completion of the project joined the rest of the Survey staff who were then working on Knightsbridge.