Dr Shaun Murray
The Bartlett School of Architecture
Faculty of the Built Environment
- Joined UCL
- 1st Aug 2017
Dr Murray is the founder and editor-in-chief of the peer-reviewed journal Design Ecologies since January 2011 which is published in print and online bi-annually through Intellect Books. Design Ecologies has been used to develop the field of research ENIAtype.
Dr Murray is developing a design research field entitled ENIAtype which is concerned with the interrelationship of ecological, notational, instructional and aesthetical types in methodologies of communicating architectural design. The research unpacks the totality or pattern of linkages between drawing architecture and environmental constraints. The focus is on the art of transfer or conveyance from one place to another by simultaneously taking into account the human body and its surroundings in the production of architecture.
Dr Murray has delivered Research Excellence Framework (REF) deliverables for the last period January 2014 to September 2020. The deliverables are as follows:
- Sensorium Exhibition at Huddlesfield Market Gallery, 16th-11th April 2020.
- International Sensorium Conference at Huddlesfield University, 03rd April 2020.
- Drawing Architecture Research Conference, Bartlett School of Architecture, University College London, 10th-11th October 2019.
- Figurations Research Group, Bartlett School of Architecture, University College London, 17th June 2019.
- Drawing Architecture Research Conference, The New York Times, New York, 4th-5th March 2019.
- Radical Foundations Article, peer-reviewed in Design Ecologies Journal, February 2019.
- Weapons of Choice: Acts of Drawing, Architectural Association, October 2018.
- Unmoored Cities Conference, Bartlett School of Architecture, University College London, 25th May 2018.
- Digital Practices Symposium, University of Edinburgh, 25th April 2018.
- Celebrating The Marvellous: Surrealism in Architecture, Architectural Design Article, March 2018.
- Time Crimes Article, peer-reviewed in Design Ecologies Journal, August 2017.
- Future Cities 6 Conference, University of Greenwich, April 2017.
- 3+7 Shaun Murray Exhibition, Azreili School of Architecture and Urbanism, Carleton University, Ottawa, January 2017.
- Future Cities 6 Exhibition, University of Greenwich, April 2017.
- Surrealism in Architecture Exhibition, University of Greenwich, June 2017.
- Anonymous Monsters Article, peer-reviewed in Design Ecologies Journal, August 2016.
- Urban Islands Exhibition, University of Sydney, June 2016.
Dr Murray is a senior teaching fellow at the Bartlett School of Architecture. He is a design tutor on the M.Enge course in Engineering and Architectural Design and a Thesis tutor on the Masters in Architecture (RIBA Part 2).
Dr Murray is also a senior lecturer at the University of Greenwich where he coordinates technology on the undergraduate course in architecture and a design tutor on the Masters in Architecture (RIBA Part 2).
Dr Murray is also supervising two PhD candidates including Yorgos Loizos, ‘Surrealist Photography in the making of the analogical house.’ Alan Pottinger, ‘The Human Spectrum: Posthuman Architectural Theory’.
Dr. Shaun Murray ARB
Dr Shaun Murray is a qualified architect and the director of ENIAtype, a transdisciplinary architecture practice founded in 2011. He gained his doctorate in architecture at the Planetary Collegium CAiiA Star, University of Plymouth. He is a Senior Lecturer in Architecture at University of Greenwich and a Senior Teaching Fellow on MEng Engineering and Architecture course and a Masters Thesis Tutor at the Bartlett School of Architecture, University College London. Previously he was a Unit Master at the Architectural Association and is the author of Disturbing Territories (Springer 2006) showcasing his pioneering work in architectural drawing has been published widely. Dr Murray is the Editor-in-Chief of the international peer-reviewed design journal Design Ecologies, that was set up as a platform for the state-of-the-art experiments that link architecture, technology and philosophy, and is published biannually through Intellect Books. Project on Tellurian Relics was published in Architectural Design, Celebrating the Marvellous: Surrealism in Architecture in 2018. Shaun has recently exhibited new works at a drawing exhibition in Shanghai from October to November ‘Sensorium is part of the Shanghai Urban Space Art Season 2019 (SUSAS) a series of exhibitions examining waterfronts. Dr Murray is apart of an international group of architects and curators who meet bi-annually to discuss the production and exhibition of architectural drawings.
In 2020, Dr Murray’s drawings will be on display in New York at The Cooper Union and in 2021, they will be exhibited in Los Angeles at the A+D Museum.