09 March 2018 | 3:00 pm to 8:00 pm
Becoming ‘we’: A forum celebrating feminist spatial practice
- Room G.12, The Bartlett School of Architecture, 22 Gordon Street, London, WC1H 0QB
- Open to
- The Bartlett School of Architecture
Becoming ‘we’ is a forum celebrating the publication of six books that explore the intersection of architecture and feminism.
This event involves three conversations around feminist tactics of spatial practice – pedagogies, tools and activisms. Hear from the editors and contributors of this important and timely roster of publications, as well as staff and students from The Bartlett School of Architecture.
2:30pm - Bookshop open, refreshments served
3pm – 3:15pm - Introduction and welcome
3:15pm – 4:15pm - Pedagogies
4:15pm – 4:45pm - Break, refreshments served
4:45pm – 5:45pm - Tools
5:45pm – 6pm - Break, refreshments served
6pm – 7pm - Activisms
7pm – 7:20pm - Conclusions
7:20pm – 8pm - Drinks and continued conversations
Please book for the whole event and attend the sessions that interest you:
- Ruth Morrow, Professor of Architecture at Queen's University Belfast
- Dr Karin Reisinger, Lecturer at Vienna University of Technology (Institute of Art and Design) and the Academy of Fine Arts Vienna (Institute of Art and Architecture)
- James Soane, Director of Critical Practice at London School of Architecture and Director of Project Orange
- Julia Dwyer, Senior Lecturer at University of Westminster (School of Architecture and the Built Environment)
- Torsten Lange, Visiting Lecturer in Theory of Architecture, Institute gta/ETH Zurich
- Dr. Igea Troiani, Senior Lecturer at Oxford Brookes University
- James Benedict Brown, Visiting Lecturer at The Royal College of Art
Moderated by Anna Livia Vørsel, Co-founder of asterism, Architectural History MA, The Bartlett
- Claudia Dutson, Visiting Lecturer in Information Experience Design MA, Royal College of Art
- Dr Hélène Frichot, Associate Professor and Director of Critical Studies in Architecture, KTH School of Architecture
- Catharina Gabrielsson, Associate Professor at KTH School of Architecture
- Dr. Elke Krasny, cultural theorist, urban researcher, curator; Professor at the Academy of Fine Arts Vienna
- Professor Katie Lloyd Thomas, Co-director of ARC Architecture Research Collaborative and editor of arq: Architectural Research Quarterly
Moderated by Miriam Stoney, Architectural History MA, The Bartlett
- Nishat Awan, Senior Lecturer in Architecture at University of Sheffield
- Meike Schalk, Associate Professor in Urban Studies and Urban Theory at KTH School of Architecture
- Helen Runting, PhD Candidate, Critical Studies in Architecture at KTH School of Architecture
- Dr. Harriet Harriss, Interior Design and Architecture at Royal College of Art
Moderated by Maria McLintock, activist, curator and co-founder of System of Systems, Architectural History MA, The Bartlett
- Building Yourself a Feminist Design Power Tool by Hélène Frichot (Spurbuchverlag AADR, 2017)
- Feminist Futures of Spatial Practice edited by Meike Schalk, Thérèse Kristiansson and Ramia Mazé (Spurbuchverlag AADR, 2017)
- Architecture and Feminisms: Ecologies, Economies, Technologies edited by Hélène Frichot, Catharina Gabrielsson and Helen Runting (Routledge, 2017)
- A Gendered Profession: The Question of Representation in Space Making edited by Ruth Morrow, Harriet Harriss, James Benedict Brown and James Soane (RIBA Publishing, 2016)
- Becoming a Feminist Architect edited by Karin Reisinger and Meike Schalk, special issue of field (volume 7, issue 1, 2017).
- Styles of Queer Feminist Practices and Objects in Architecture edited by Karin Reisinger and Meike Schalk, special issue of Architecture and Culture (volume 5, issue 3, 2017).
Book sales will take place in The Bartlett bookshop on the ground floor from 14:30- 20:00. Please note that payment is by card only.
Please contact us if you have any access requirements.