UCL Astrophysics Group
- Contact Us
- Astrophysics Seminars
- Departmental Events
- Research Topics
- Undergraduate Studies
- PhD Admissions
- University College London Observatory
- Astrophysics Wiki Pages
- Vacancies page
- Group Support and Policies
In September, Professor Nikolaos Konstantinidis, Vice-Dean (International) for the UCL Mathematical & Physical Sciences Faculty, headed a visit to China to meet some of the top academic institutions.
A team of scientists at UCL, led by Professor Peter Barker and Professor Tania Monteiro have taken another big step forward towards cooling a macroscopic object into the quantum regime. The team "levitated" silica particles of almost half a micrometre diameter in the light field of an optical cavity and succeeded in cooling them, using laser light by a factor of up to one hundred thousand, from room temperature. More...
The Dark Energy Spectroscopic Instrument (DESI) has recently received formal approval from the US Department of Energy to move forward to the construction phase. DESI is a 3-D sky mapping project and will measure spectra of 35 million galaxies to provide new clues about Dark Energy. Installation of the project is set to begin next year at the Mayall 4-meter telescope in Kitt Peak National Observatory, Arizona, with observations starting up in early-2019.
forbidden region, planes can't fly, balloons can't float, and satellites
struggle to orbit. A swarm of tiny probes is about to reveal its secrets.
Welcome to the research pages of the Astrophysics Group. The main research topics are listed in the left-hand menu, incorporating the following sub-groups:
- Astronomical Instrumentation (Optical Science Laboratory)
- (Exo)Planetary Systems
- Stars, Star Formation and Galaxy Evolution
In addition, we are linked to:
We also work closely with the following groups at UCL:
- Atomic, Molecular, Optical and Positron Physics (AMOPP)
- Centre for Cosmic Chemistry & Physics
- Mullard Space Science Labs (Space and Climate Physics & Astronomical Detectors) (MSSL)
- Planetary Geology
- Theoretical Atomic and Molecular Physics and Astrophysics (TAMPA)
- Centre for Planetary Science (CPS)
Page last modified on 20 apr 16 09:44 by Kajal H Nakum