This workshop aims to inform researchers of a new approach to organising basic ideas and large quantities of information into a structured and planned book. The workshop establishes: how to start writing a book, how to structure book and how to deal with book contracts.
Anticipated learning outcomes:
By the end of this session, you will have a fuller understanding of:
- various readers and decision-makers
- the key message for the book
- a set of subsidiary messages
- creating a structure that incorporates all your information in a reader friendly order
- controlling the way that information flows through the book
- writing quickly
- editing with confidence
- the benefits and disadvantage of literary agents
- the elements contained in standard contracts
- writing a synopsis that has the right components to interest a publisher
This workshop supports your development in line with the UCL Core Behaviours Framework.
This is a practical 'hands-on' workshop, and you should bring the following to work on during the day:
- A copy (or two or three) of a book of the same genre as the one that you would like to write.
- An idea of a book you would like to write - write about one side of A4 collecting your ideas together.
Related resources: Desktop Learning
Facilitator: Pete Moore ; ThinkWrite About the facilitator...
Date, time and venue: 1 day workshop
More dates will be available in the 2016-2017 Academic Year. In the meantime please Register Your Interest by scrolling down the page to How to Book and clicking on the link to the Booking Form. We will then email you when new dates are available.
- Free for all staff on the UCL payroll
- £160 for UCL Affiliated / Higher Education Institutions / Charities
- £400 for External Applicants
How to book: Booking Form
OD Course Contact: Cristina Taran
Cancellation: Please note that there has been a change to the cancellation policy. The course cancellation and no show fee is £100 starting from the 2015/16 academic year. This charge is applicable to Organisational Development Courses and supersedes all other information regarding this policy elsewhere on the UCL website and training booking system. Additional charges may be incurred on some courses. Read more about cancellation >>.
To view the other four workshops in the ThinkWrite series please click on the links below: