This workshop gives a fresh look at the task of writing academic papers. It aims to give newcomers the confidence to get started quickly, while showing old hands some new ways of making the process less painful.
Anticipated learning outcomes:
By the end of this session, you will have a fuller understanding of:
- the rules that govern the 'publishing game'
- targeting the paper more thoroughly
- analysing the journal you wish to place work in
- focusing your mind on the core issues you wish to write about
- collecting information needed to build a high quality paper
- writing the first draft rapidly
- working with colleagues in shaping the document
This workshop supports your development in line with the UCL Core Behaviours Framework.
This is a practical 'hands-on' workshop, and you should bring the following to work on during the day:
- an idea for a paper - either one you are writing at the moment, or one that you plan to write in the near future
- three or four papers that have been published in the journals in which you would like to see your work appear (it is best if you are not the author of these papers)
Related resources: Desktop Learning
Facilitator: Pete Moore ; ThinkWrite About the facilitator...
Date, time and venue: 1 day workshop
More dates will be available in the 2015-2016 Academic Year. In the meantime please Register Your Interest by scrolling down the page to How to Book and clicking on the link to the Booking Form. We will then email you when new dates are available.
- Free for all staff on the UCL payroll
- £160 for UCL Affiliated / Higher Education Institutions / Charities
- £400 for External Applicants
How to book: Booking Form
OD Course Contact: OD Team
Cancellation: Please note that there has been a change to the cancellation policy. The course cancellation and no show fee is £100 starting from the 2015/16 academic year. This charge is applicable to Organisational Development Courses and supersedes all other information regarding this policy elsewhere on the UCL website and training booking system. Additional charges may be incurred on some courses. Read more about cancellation >>.
To view the other four workshops in the ThinkWrite series please click on the links below:
- Conference Abstracts and Papers
- Writing A Book
- Writing A Peer Review
- Writing Targeted Grant Proposals