This course is for Staff who rely on effective written communication to achieve their job role and service delivery.
Please note that if you have already attended "Enhancing Your Document and Report Writing Skills" then there will be some overlap in the material covered in this workshop.
This workshop will provide participants with immediate and practical guidance on how to communicate effectively and professionally through written correspondence. Specific areas to focus learning will be in the planning of written communications, the grammar, tone, style and final proof-reading, participants will develop their professional written communication skills and confidence in order to improve e-mails, letters, and reports.
Anticipated learning outcomes:
By the end of the workshop, participants will have a practical framework that encompasses:
- the main elements of effective writing
- clarifying and setting objectives for different forms of writing
- preparing and planning a piece of writing
- writing clearly and correctly to ensure the document meets its purpose
- Fosters two way communication and effective team-working
- Demonstrates effective self management and focus
- Participates actively in departmental, faculty and UCL wide committees, working parties, investigatory panels and other corporate roles as required
Please bring two hard copies of either of the following: emails, letters, memos that you have written.
Desktop Learning topics:
You may also be interested in:
The UCL Language Centre - offers full and part-time English for Academic Purposes and foundation courses for international students as well as foreign language courses to UCL students and staff. http://www.ucl.ac.uk/language-centre/
Melanie Eusebe, Fresh Ideas About the facilitator...
Date, time and venue: One day workshop
More dates will be available in the 2013-2014 Academic Year. In the meantime please Register Your Interest by scrolling down the page to How to Book and clicking on the link to the Booking Form. We will then email you when new dates are available.
- Free for all staff on the UCL payroll
- £160 for UCL Affiliated / Higher Education Institutions / Charities
- £400 for External Applicants
How to book: Booking Form
OD Course Contact: Natalia Mazzini-cea