Participants: Managers in grades 7-10.
Pre-requisites: Before attending this workshop you should have completed the UCL's online diversity training.
Overview: The event aims to add value to the function of managers by increasing their ability to harness the latent benefits to be found in the diversity of their staff.
Anticipated learning outcomes:
By the end of this session, you will be able to:
- List benefits to UCL in harnessing the diversity which exists in UCL
- Ensure diversity contributes to attaining the goal of peak performance in individuals and teams
- Identify and deal with possible diversity “flash points” in day to day management processes such as supervision, delegation and motivation
- Tackle complex employee relations situations with diversity implications with confidence
- Access and employ existing support mechanisms
- Instigate and control difficult conversations
- Tackle diversity related situations with courage
- Communicate a personal and professional commitment to fair and robust management practice
- Morning: the law and theory of equality and diversity in a management context
- Afternoon: an interactive scenario-based learning exercise featuring actors
- Demonstrates a commitment to (and promotes) equality and diversity ensuring UCL is an inclusive environment in which individuals are respected and unacceptable behaviours challenged
- Encourages personal development and helps others to learn
- Fosters two way communication and effective team-working
- Promotes UCL’s values and corporate objectives to colleagues and externally to UCL
- Manages self and others in accordance with UCL policies and contributes to policy development as appropriate
- Recruits and manages individuals effectively to create a high performing team
- Demonstrates effective self management and focus
Preparation: You will be emailed with a pre-course task which you will need to complete prior to attending.
Date, time and venue:
More dates will be available in the 2014-2015 Academic Year. In the meantime please Register Your Interest by scrolling down the page to How to Book and clicking on the link to the Booking Form. We will then email you when new dates are available.
- Free for all staff on the UCL payroll
- £160 for UCL Affiliated / Higher Education Institutions / Charities
- £400 for External Applicants
How to book: Booking form
OD Course Contact: Zara Chaudhry