Mid GreenBright blueOrange

What support is available?

Blind or partially sighted students can access a wide range of services without applying for additional funding. These services include:

  • Drop-in sessions to meet with a Disability Adviser – Mondays and Wednesdays, 2pm - 4pm
  • Pre-arranged orientation visits during the summer or at the start of term
  • Access to the Student Enabling IT (SEnIT) Suite with assistive software and hardware such as large-screen PCs, text-to-speech and magnification software, and a Braille translator and embosser
  • Small equipment loans, such as a digital voice recorder
  • Extended library loan facility – so that you can keep library materials for longer
  • Support applying for special exam arrangements – such as extra time, use of a PC and assistive software to make exam responses, exam papers in alternative formats (e.g., large print or Braille), provision of a reader or a scribe, and provision of adapted or improved lighting
  • Asking your department to provide hand-outs and lecture notes in alternative formats such as on disk, or in large print or Braille
  • Asking your department to provide prioritised reading lists
  • Liaison with Student Accommodation about any necessary modifications to your accommodation
  • Advice and guidance, for both you and your department, about the potential impact of your disability on your studies and how this can be accommodated

To access a range of other services, you will need to apply for additional funding. Depending on your needs, these services could include:

  • A full assessment of your academic support needs carried out at an accredited assessment centre
  • Computer equipment and specialised software for you to own
  • Note-taking support in lectures and seminars
  • Transcription services – to convert printed matter to alternative formats such as large print or Braille
  • Support from a personal assistant – e.g., to help you get around UCL or visit the library

The above lists are not exhaustive. Depending on your particular needs, we may be able to provide services not currently listed. Please contact us to discuss your individual needs.

Please note: All students who may have difficulty getting out of a building in the case of an emergency (eg fire) will be contacted by their academic department to discuss how best to ensure safe egress. A Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan (PEEP) will be drawn up to establish what you need to do in the case of an emergency.