Mr Benjamin Irving
I am a PhD student at CHIME, UCL and my research
the development of a tool to assist in the detection of tuberculosis
and other respiratory diseases by analysing airway deformation and
Paul Taylor and Andrew Todd-Pokropek
I graduated from the University of Cape Town, South Africa with an
undergraduate in Applied Mathematics and Physics. I am interested in
the application of these subjects to the medical field and so went on
to complete a MSc in Biomedical Engineering focussing on low dose X-ray
technology. I received a Commonwealth Scholarship which funds my
current PhD research. My current area of research, in medical image
statistical shape analysis and classification, allows me to combine all
- P. Lo, B. van Ginneken, J.M. Reinhardt, T. Yavarna, P.A. de Jong, B. Irving, C. Fetita, M. Ortner, R. Pinho, J. Sijbers, M. Feuerstein, A. Fabijanska, C. Bauer, R. Beichel, C.S. Mendoza, S. Zayed, R. Wiemker, J.Lee, A/P. Reeves, S. Born, O. Weinheimer, E.M. van Rikxoort, J. Tschirren, K. Mori, B. Odry, D.P. Naidich, L. Hartmann, E.A. Hoffman, M. Prokop, J.H. Pedersen, and M. de Bruijne. Extraction of Airways from CT (EXACT’09). IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, 2012. (In Press).
- S. Andronikou, B. Irving, T. Hlabangana, T. Pillay, P.Taylor, P. Goussard, and R. Gie. Technical developments of post processing of paediatric airway imaging. Pediatric Radiology, 2012. (In Press).
- Irving B, Todd-Pokropek A and Taylor P. (2011). Airway Segmentation and Analysis from Computed Tomography. In: El-Baz A and Suri J (Eds.), Lung Imaging and Computer Aided Diagnosis. CRC Press.
- Irving BJ, Taylor P and Todd-Pokropek, A (2009). 3D segmentation of the airway tree using a morphology based method. Second International Workshop on Pulmonary Image Analysis, MICCAI.
- Irving BJ, Maree GJ, Hering ER (2008). Radiation dose from a linear slit scanning X-ray machine with full body imaging capabilities. Radiat. Prot. Dosim. 130(4):482-489.
- Maree GJ, Irving BJ, Hering ER (2007). Paediatric dose measurement in a full body digital radiography unit. Pediatr. Radiol. 37(10):990–997.
- Received the Walter Berdon award for the most outstanding basic science paper published in Pediatric Radiology in 2007.
My research focuses on the development of a computer assisted detection
tool for paediatric TB. This research is part of a collaboration
between the University College London, the University of Cape Town and
This work includes the segmentation of paediatric airways from CT images, developing airway correspondence, modelling normal and pathological shape changes and using classifiers to identify pathology.
Postal address and contact information
Centre for Health Informatics & Multiprofessional Education
University College Medical School
University College London
4th Floor, Holborn Union Building
The Archway Campus
Fax: 020-7288-3322 (Please mark FAO: Mr Benjamin Irving)
Personal website: www.birving.com