UCL logo




Bloomsbury Project

Bloomsbury Institutions


London Homœopathic Hospital

Also known as Royal London Homœopathic Hospital


It was founded in 1850 (Oxford Dictionary of National Biography says 1849) by Frederic Quin as the first of two competing homœopathic hospitals in London, the other being the Hahnemann Hospital

It was based first in Golden Square, Soho, but after its first decade moved to Bloomsbury and stayed there

From 1903 it also hosted the Missionary School of Medicine

It attracted royal patronage, becoming the Royal London Homœopathic Hospital in 1948

It also joined the National Health Service (NHS) and is one of only a handful of NHS homœopathic hospitals in the country

It became part of University College Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust in 2002, and subsequently became the Royal London Hospital for Integrated Medicine

It continues to offer alternative and complementary medical treatments, although much of its building has now become part of Great Ormond Street Hospital

What was reforming about it?

Homœopathic medicine was controversial

Where in Bloomsbury

In 1859 the Hospital moved from Soho to the three houses at the end of Ormond Street on the corner with Queen Square

These houses were replaced by a purpose-built hospital building in 1893–1895

Website of current institution

The Hospital is part of University College Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, www.uclh.nhs.uk (opens in new window)

Books about it

Godfrey Heathcote Hamilton, Queen Square: Its Neighbourhood and its Institutions (1926)

Felix von Reiswitz, ‘The “Globulisation” of the Hospital Ward: A Case Study of the London Homœopathic Hospital 1849–1867,’ Medizin, Gesellschaft und Geschichte, vol. 26 (2007)

Peter Morrell and Sylvain Cazalet, ‘The History of the London Homœopathic Hospital,’ 1999, online at www.homeoint.org/morrell/londonhh/index.htm (opens in new window)


Its records are held on site in the CAMLIS (Complementary and Alternative Medicine Library and Information Service) Archive at the Royal London Homœopathic Hospital, ref. GB/NNAF/C203598; details are available via Access to Archives (opens in new window)

Some relevant records are also held in London Metropolitan Archives, including records from 1897–1929 relating to its King Edward’s Hospital Fund applications, ref. A/KE/251/6; details are available via Access to Archives (opens in new window)

This page last modified 13 April, 2011 by Deborah Colville


Bloomsbury Project - University College London - Gower Street - London - WC1E 6BT - Telephone: +44 (0)20 7679 3134 - Copyright © 1999-2005 UCL

Search by Google