UCL logo




Bloomsbury Project

Bloomsbury Institutions


Hahnemann Hospital


It was founded by Dr Paul Curie ( the grandfather of Pierre Curie) in 1850 to treat patients using homœopathic methods

Dr Robert Ellis Dudgeon was also associated with the Hospital

The Hospital incorporated the London School of Homœopathy, the Hahnemann Medical Society, and the English Homœopathic Association

It closed in 1854 following the death of its founder, who had caught typhus from a patient and died in 1853

What was reforming about it?

Homœopathic medicine was controversial

Homœopathic practitioners also disagreed about the foundation of a hospital, which led to two rival institutions, the other being the London Homœopathic Hospital, being founded almost simultaneously, both in Bloomsbury, and in competition with each other

Where in Bloomsbury

It was at 39 Bloomsbury Square from its foundation until 1854, when it ceased to exist

Website of current institution

It no longer exists

Books about it

There are brief accounts online on many homœopathic practitioners websites, including the reasonably thorough account at www.najmahomeopathicclinic.com (opens in new window)


Some of Paul Curie’s papers and other material related to the development of homœopathic medicine at the time are held in the Wellcome Library’s Archives and Manuscripts section (opens in new window); online cataloguing is still in progress

This page last modified 13 April, 2011 by Deborah Colville


Bloomsbury Project - University College London - Gower Street - London - WC1E 6BT - Telephone: +44 (0)20 7679 3134 - Copyright © 1999-2005 UCL

Search by Google