Yazaydin Research Group
Computational Molecular Engineering @UCL
We're interested in taking advantage of recent advances in nanostructured and multifunctional materials to provide solutions to global challenges, such as carbon capture, energy storage and access to clean water. For this purpose we use multi scale modelling methods.
- March 2021. Dr Fan Li joins our group. Welcome! Fan will work on computational design of biomimetic porous membranes. The project is supported by the Leverhulme Trust.
- February 2021. Dr Francois Sicard joins our group. Welcome! Francois will work on computational investigation of protein stability in porous materials. The project is supported by our EPSRC New Horizons Grant.
- October 2020. Dr Yazaydin has been awarded an EPSRC New Horizons Grant (£ 200K). We'll soon be recruting a postdoc.
- September 2020. Mengru Zhang joins our research group. Mengru will be funded by the CSC-Deans Prize. Welcome Mengru!
- August 2020. Our collaborative paper with researchers at NYU Abu Dhabi on the removal of PFOA from water has been published. Read it here.
- May 2020. Congratulations to Kai on his first PhD paper which provides commputational evidence that under confinement methane hydrate growth can take place at much lower pressures than required in the bulk. Read it here.
- April 2020. We've been awarded £ 126K by the Leverhulme Trust to design and engineer biomimetic porous membranes for clean water applications. We'll soon be recruting a postdoc.
- January 2020. Aydin's paper on quantifying the effects of interfacial resistances in mixed-matrix membranes on gas separation selectivity has been published in Chemistry of Materials. What a great start to 2020. Read it here.
- October 2019. Our collaborative paper with the Gliemann group at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology on ZnO@ZIF-8 sensors has been published. Read it here.
- August 2019. Sada's paper on the direct simulation of ternary mixtures in membranes at molecular scale has been published. Read it here.
- June 2019. Joint paper with Prof Gundog Yucesan from Technical University of Berlin on Alkali-phosphonate MOFs. This one made it to the cover. Read it here.
- May 2019. Sada's paper on the computational design of electric field stimulus responsive MOF materials for nanofluidic applications has been among the top 10 most read articles in Molecular Systems Design & Engineering in Q1-2019Read it here.
- March 2019. Many congratulations to Benjamin on completing his PhD.
- March 2019. Our collaborative paper on understanding methane/carbon dioxide adsoprtion in clay nano- and meso-pores with Constant Reservoir Composition Molecular Dynamics Modeling has been published. Read it here.
- January 2019. Another joint paper from our group with Prof Jens Beckmann and Prof Gundog Yucesan has been published and makes it to the cover of ChemComm. This one is on the synthesis of a cobalt arylphosphonate MOF with superior stability, sorption and
magnetism properties. Read it here.
- January 2019. What a merrily start to the new year. Our collaborative paper with the Ladewig group at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology on gas permeation through single-crystal ZIF-8 membranes has been published. Read it here.
- November 2018. Sada's paper on the computational design of electric field stimulus responsive MOF materials for nanofluidic applications has been published. Read it here.
- September 2018. Prof Thijs Vlugt and his research group from Delft University of Technology visited us for a joint workshop.
- July 2018. Dr Ozgur Yazaydin has been promoted to Associate Professor.
- May 2018. Our collaborative paper with Prof Sen has been among the most downloaded papers in ChemComm. Read it here.
- May 2018. Yazaydin reserch group gives its first PhD graduates at UCL. Many congratulations to Isil and Naghmeh on completing their PhDs.
- April 2018. Congratulations to Sada on being awarded a "Molecular Systems Design & Engineering" poster prize by the Royal Society of Chemistry at the UK MOF Symposium which was held in Southampton, 9-10 April 2018.
- March 2018. Isil's paper on the removal of atrazine from water using MOFs has been published. Read it here.
- December 2017. Isil's paper on the removal of carbamazepine from water using MOFs has been published. Read it here.
- October 2017. Our paper on the use of grand canonical molecular dynamics simulations to study CO2 and H2O Intercalation in Smectite Clays has been published. Read it here.
- October 2017. Kai Bin Yu joins the Yazaydin research group. Kai has won the prestigious H. Walter Stern scholarship and will be working on the formation of methane hydrates in confinement. Welcome Kai!
- September 2017. Dr Sadanandam Namsani joins our group as a postdoctoral research fellow from IIT Kanpur where he obtained his PhD. Welcome Sadanandam!
- April 2017. Nano butterfly valves? May be one day! Our paper on the design of electric field controlled molecular gates mounted on metal-organic frameworks has been published in Journal of Materials Chemistry A. Read it here.
- March 2017. Our landmark paper on a new non-equilibrium Molecular Dynamics simulation method to simulate membrane separations; Concentration Gradient Driven Molecular Dynamics (CGD-MD), has been published in Chemical Science. Read it here.
- March 2017. Aydin Ozcan received the Dean's Prize scholarship. Congratulations Aydin.
- February 2017. Benjamin Tam received the DAI - Best Demonstrator - Runner Up award. Congratulations Ben
- February 2017. Aydin Ozcan received the Rooke prize given to PhD students who show significant progress unitl their upgrade viva. Congratulations Aydin.
- February 2017. Turan Selman Erkal joins our group. Welcome Selman
- January 2017. Our combined theory/experimental paper published on ChemmComm helping experimental folks to verify their structures. Read it here.
- December 2016. Yazaydin research group receives funding from Leverhulme Trust (£ 110,032) to study stimuli responsive Metal-Organic Framework materials.
- November 2016. Congratulations to Aydin for passing his PhD upgrade viva.
- September 2016. Congratulations to Benjamin for passing his PhD upgrade viva.
- June 2016. Fabian Bylehn won an EPSRC summer bursary to work on drug delivery with MOFs in our group. Welcome Fabian!
- April 2016. Congratulations to Naghmeh for passing her PhD upgrade viva.
- January 2016. Aydin Ozcan joins our group as a PhD student. Welcome Aydin!
- December 2015. Congratulations to Isil for passing her PhD upgrade viva.
- September 2015. We have a new paper published on the interaction of CO2 water and Natural organic mater in clay formations. Read it here.
- November 2014. Our collaborative paper published in Inorganic Chemistry makes it to the front cover. Read it here.
- October 2014. Benjamin Tam joins the group as a PhD student.
- September 2014. Dr Yazaydin delivered an invited talk at the NATO Advanced Research Workshop in Nanotechnology to Aid Chemical and Biological Defence, held in Antalya, Turkey, September 22-26, 2014.
- June 2014. Our paper is the 2nd most downloaded article in Chemical Physics in 2013. Read it here.
- May 2014. Dr Yazaydin has been nominated by the students for a Student Choice Outstanding Teaching Award. Read it here.
- February 2014. Publication from the Yazaydin group is the hottest article in Chemical Physics in April-June 2013.
Read it here.
- October 2013. Dr Yazaydin delievered a keynote speech at the Carbon Dioxide Capture and Separation by Porous Solids workshop hosted by KAIST, in Dajeon, South Korea, on October 1, 2013.
- September2013. Dr Yazaydin joins UCL Chemical Engineering Department
- June 2013. Ali has succesfully defended his PhD
thesis. Congratulations Dr Boztas.
- March 2013. Our paper "Two Large-Pore Metal-Organic Frameworks Derived from a Single Polytopic Strut" has been ranked among the
Top 10 Most Read Articles of 2012 in Crystal Growth & Design.
- January 2013. Research conducted by undergraduates in the Yazaydin group has been published. Congratulations to Jim Hayman and Joe McEwen.
Read it here.
- December 2012. Dr Yazaydin has become a fellow of The Higher Education Academy
- October 2012. Angewandte Chemie Int. Ed. publishes our collaborative paper on the separation of alkane isomers.Read it here.
- October 2012. Dr Yazaydin was on BBC Surrey Radio for a live interview on gas powered cars.
- August 2012. Dr Yazaydin helps create worlds highest surface area material.
Read it here.